Mike Pelfrey still feels tightness in shoulder, but intends to make next start

1 Comment

Mike Pelfrey headshot.jpgThere was no shortage of good news in Friday’s 6-4 win over the Giants: Mike Pelfrey allowed three runs over 7 1/3 innings, the longest outing by a Mets starter this season. Jose Reyes — still in the No. 3 spot — had two hits and a stolen base while the struggling Jason Bay ripped an RBI double. Ike Davis slugged two home runs and made a fantastic catch over the railing to thwart a ninth-inning rally and finally, Rod Barajas hit two home runs of his own, the second of which was a two-run walkoff shot.

All great stuff, especially with Bengie Molina watching from the opposing dugout, but here’s one nugget of sobering news. According to MetsBlog, Pelfrey said he still felt some tightness in his throwing shoulder.

Of course, the big right-hander underwent an MRI earlier in the week because of “general shoulder tightness” and even skipped his regular bullpen session on Tuesday as a precaution before declaring himself good to go on Wednesday. Still, Pelfrey told the New York Daily News that he has every intention of making his next start against the Nationals.

“Just so you guys don’t come around asking all week, I’m going to make
my next start,” Pelfrey said, smiling. “You don’t have to worry about
that.”

Four baseballs autographed by Jose Fernandez wash ashore

MIAMI, FL - AUGUST 03: Jose Fernandez #16 of the Miami Marlins looks on during a game against the New York Mets at Marlins Park on August 3, 2015 in Miami, Florida.  (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)
3 Comments

This is just . . . ugh.

WSVN-TV in Miami reports that a black bag containing Jose Fernandez’s checkbook and four baseballs signed by him washed ashore on Miami Beach. Probably a bag to keep stuff dry while out on the water.

The bag was given to a lifeguard. Hopefully the bag finds its way back to Fernandez’s family quickly.

Marlins sign Martin Prado to a three-year extension

ATLANTA, GA - AUGUST 06:  Martin Prado #14 of the Miami Marlins hits a sacrifice fly in the third inning during the game against the Atlanta Braves at Turner Field on August 6, 2015 in Atlanta, Georgia.  (Photo by Mike Zarrilli/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

The Miami Herald reports that the Marlins and Martin Prado have agreed to a three-year, $40 million contracy extension.

Prado has been highly effective for Miami, hitting .297/.350/.405 over two seasons The Marlins were eager to keep him and many teams were no doubt interested in trying to sign him this winter as he stood pretty darn tall on a pretty weak free agent market. He may very well have done better than the $40 million he’s getting, but a qualifying offer could’ve made the free agency process a bit more drawn out one than he would’ve preferred. And, of course, he seems very happy in Miami, as evidenced by his increasing role as a team leader with the Marlins.

For his career Prado has hit .293/.342/.423 over 11 seasons. He’ll now be locked up through his age-35 campaign.