Alex Rodriguez connected for his 584th career home run during the bottom of the fourth inning on Saturday afternoon against the Rangers, passing Mark McGwire for sole possession of eighth place on the all-time home run list.
Rodriguez, who turns 35 in July, was homerless in his first 41 at-bats to begin the year, his longest such home run drought to start a season since needing 48 bats to hit his first major league home run as a 19-year-old in 1995.
Should Rodriguez avoid the disabled list, it’s not unreasonable to expect he will surpass Frank Robinson (7th place — 586 home runs) and Sammy Sosa (6th place — 609 home runs) this season, leaving him just outside the top-five all-time.
Speaking of history, Jim Thome launched his 566th career home run in a 6-5 win over the Royals on Saturday afternoon. He is currently 12th on the all-time home run list, breathing down the neck of Rafael Palmeiro (11th place — 569 home runs) and fellow Twinkie Harmon Killebrew (10th place — 573 home runs).
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.