During an appearance on with Chris Russo on SIRIUS XM’s Mad Dog Radio Channel on Friday, Bobby Valentine addressed recent speculation that he could replace Jerry Manuel as manager of the Mets, via Adam Rubin of ESPN New York.
“You know, the Mets are 3-6. It’s nine games,” Valentine said. “I mean,
let’s not get crazy here. I think Jerry, I talked to him a few times
during spring training. Jerry Manuel is up for the task. I think that he
has a tough road to hoe, there’s no doubt about it, and he’s got to
keep his head above water until his center fielder comes back, and
obviously has to get that pitching staff in shape. But I don’t see that
as being part of my future as we’re speaking here. … I’m a member of
ESPN Baseball Tonight. I’m happy to be there and I’m gonna enjoy talking
about that situation, not being talked about within that situation.”
I’ve heard Valentine get asked about a potential return to Queens dozens of times since 2002 and opposed to Gary Carter, he always answers in a diplomatic and classy way. I would expect nothing less, as he understands what it’s like to hear whispers while sitting in the manager’s office. I’ve advocated for Valentine in the past, but as Craig alluded to earlier today, Bob Melvin appears to be the in-house favorite.
Johnny Cueto signed a six-year $130 million deal with the Giants prior to the 2016 season. In his first season he went 18-5 with a 2.79 ERA and 198 strikeouts in 219.2 innings, helping lead the Giants to the playoffs. This season has been rocky for Cueto — he’s got a a 4.42 ERA in 15 starts and has battled blisters — but they’ve been far rockier for the Giants overall, as they sit in last place in the NL West and have the second worst record in baseball.
Many suspect that the Giants will either rebuild or, at the very least, restructure some in response to this nightmare year. If so, they’re likely going to be doing it with Cueto, who Jon Heyman reports is going to opt-out of his deal:
San Francisco Giants starting pitcher Johnny Cueto is planning to opt out of his contract at the end of the year, but he would listen to any extension offer . . . Cueto has $84 million to go over four years. It would probably take an injury or major slump for Cueto not to opt out. But it makes sense that he will.
Heyman says the Giants are not inclined to give him an extension, so expect to see Cueto on the free agent market three days after the World Series ends, which is the deadline for him to exercise his opt-out rights.
Things are going great for the Dodgers lately. They’ve won seven consecutive games and 13 of their last 14. They lead the National League in wins and are in first place in, arguably, the best division in baseball.
But there are a lot of moving parts on a baseball team, and even when some things are going great, other things can go not-so-great. Like this:
Urias has been diagnosed with shoulder inflammation and shut down indefinitely. An MRI last week showed no structural damage, but his shoulder is still bothering him. He has not pitched in the bigs since late May, when he allowed seven runs in less than three innings against the Miami Marlins. He was sent down after that and went 3-0 with a 3.12 ERA, six walks and 17 strikeouts in 17.1 innings pitched in three starts with Oklahoma City before being shelved.