Red Sox set to announce Josh Beckett extension

2 Comments

The Red Sox have scheduled a press conference about Josh Beckett for three o’clock this afternoon, which likely means the two sides have officially agreed to the contract extension that was reported to be close last week.
Beckett’s new deal is expected to cover four seasons and pay the 31-year-old right-hander about $68 million. Toss in the $12 million he’s making this season and the Red Sox will owe Beckett a total of $80 million over the next five years, which is essentially identical to the five-year, $82.8 million contract Boston just handed out to John Lackey as a free agent.
Beckett struggled last night in his 2010 debut, serving up back-to-back homers to Jorge Posada and Curtis Granderson on the way to giving up five runs in 4.2 innings and failed to record more than one strikeout in a start for the first time since mid-2007.
However, even with that ugly outing he’s 65-34 with a 4.08 ERA and 724/206 K/BB ratio in 796.2 innings spread over 123 starts for the Red Sox, plus 5-1 with a 3.88 ERA in the playoffs. Acquired along with Mike Lowell from the Marlins for a package that included Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez in November of 2005, he’s currently in the final season of a three-year, $30 million deal.
Beckett, Lackey, and Jon Lester are now each under the Red Sox’s control through 2014.

Twins place Miguel Sano on the 10-day disabled list with shin injury

Denis Poroy/Getty Images
2 Comments

The Twins have placed third baseman Miguel Sano on the 10-day disabled list with a stress reaction in his left shin, per the Star Tribune’s LaVelle E. Neal. Sano left Saturday’s game against the Diamondbacks after running out a ground ball double play in the fourth inning and was held out of Sunday’s lineup.

Sano, 24, is batting .267/.356/.514 with 28 home runs and 77 RBI in 475 plate appearances this season. The Twins are five back of the Indians for first place in the AL Central and currently hold a tie with the Angels for the second Wild Card slot.

Ehire Adrianza got the start at third base during Sunday’s win and could handle the hot corner while Sano is out. Eduardo Escobar could also get some time at third.

Buster Posey thinks Hector Neris hit him on purpose

Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images
11 Comments

Giants catcher Buster Posey was hit by a pitch in the bottom of the eighth inning during Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Phillies. It was a first-pitch fastball from closer Hector Neris, who had just entered the game. The Giants then had the bases loaded, but Pablo Sandoval struck out to end the inning and the Giants went on to lose 5-2.

After the game, Posey said he thinks Neris hit him on purpose, per Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle. Posey thinks Neris thought he couldn’t get him out.

Per MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki, Neris said “absolutely not” when asked if he threw at Posey on purpose. The rest of the Phillies clubhouse, per Zolecki, “Say whaaat?!”

Here’s a link to the video of Posey getting hit. Now that we have automatic intentional walks, pitchers don’t even have to risk throwing four pitches wide of the strike zone to intentionally walk a hitter, so if Neris felt he couldn’t get Posey out, there was still no need to hit him. Furthermore, Neris isn’t going to hit Posey to load the bases and put the go-ahead run on first in a 4-2 ballgame. Sandoval has been a much worse hitter than Posey, for sure, but Neris would lose the platoon advantage if he felt like facing Sandoval instead, anyway.

Getting hit hurts, so it’s understandable Posey may have been salty in the moment. But after the game, when the pain has subsided and he’s had time to think over everything, there’s no way Posey should still come to the conclusion that Neris was trying to hit him on purpose.