UPDATED: Jack Cust designated for assignment

Leave a comment

cust posing in dugout.jpgUPDATE: Cust told Slusser on Sunday that he thinks the A’s made a bad move by giving up on him.  It sure sounds like he would rather move on to another club:

“I think it’s messed up,” Cust said. “They’re going to go on 50 at-bats
after three years of what I’ve done here? It’s ridiculous. A lot of
other guys have had bad springs. This is a joke. … The fact is, this team has no power and they’ve just released a guy
who (averaged 28 homers) the last three years. That’s amazing.”

Cust went 11-for-51 this spring (.216) with one home run and three RBI.

8:20pm: Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle has been all over the A’s news beat this afternoon and passes along this interesting tweet:

Cust to be designated. That’s what I’m hearing but
it’s not official by any means.

Slusser, of course, is talking about Jack Cust, the man who hit .240/.356/.417 last season with 25 home runs and 70 RBI and was re-signed to a $2.65 million contract this winter.  He lacks versatility and all, but it sure seems like the guy would be useful as a DH or late-innings pinch-hitter for Oakland this season.  If he is cast off, you can bet that a few teams will be phoning Athletics general manager Billy Beane.

Giancarlo Stanton will defend his Home Run Derby title

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Marlins announced on Sunday that outfielder Giancarlo Stanton will defend his Home Run Derby title when the city of Miami host’s the All-Star Game festivities next month.

Stanton, 27, defeated Todd Frazier in the finals of last year’s Home Run Derby at Petco Park, hitting 20 home runs to Frazier’s 13. Stanton hit a total of 61 home runs in the Derby. This will be the third Home Run Derby in which Stanton has participated.

Stanton also went 1-for-3 with a solo home run to help the Marlins defeat the Cubs 4-2 on Sunday. He’s now batting .274/.357/.551 with 20 home runs and 49 RBI in 311 plate appearances.

Aaron Hicks to go on the disabled list with an oblique injury

Mike Stobe/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Yankees outfielder Aaron Hicks left Sunday’s game against the Rangers after four innings due to soreness in his right oblique. After the game, Hicks said he expects to go on the 10-day disabled list and miss the next three to four weeks, MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch reports.

Hicks was 1-for-2 with a single before departing on Sunday. He entered the game batting .288/.397/.515 with 10 home runs and 37 RBI in 198 plate appearances. It is by far the best season of his career.

Jacoby Ellsbury is on his way back from a concussion, so the Yankees will only have to bridge the gap in center field for a week or two. Mason Williams could draw some starts in center field in the meantime.