The Cubs' Carlos Silva is good? The White Sox's Jake Peavy is bad? This has got to be an April Fools' prank

Leave a comment

silva-carlos-100401.jpgThere is something odd going on with the Chicago sports scene.

No, Jay Cutler has not acquired the, umm, intestinal fortitude necessary to play quarterback. That would be too unbelievable to entertain even on April Fools’ Day. But what is happening is so puzzling it makes you rethink everything you know about baseball. Yes, as shocking as it seems, Cubs pitcher Carlos Silva appears to actually be good.

Before you rush to your calendar to see if it’s already 2012, consider that it is quite likely that Silva will not continue to be good for long. As he heads north to Wrigley Field and the games begin to count in the standings, there is a fair chance the Earth will return to its normal axis and Silva will go back to allowing nearly two base-runners per inning. Many of these base-runners will dance around the bases to score runs. This will also cause Cubs fans to logically heap blame on a goat, and possibly, Milton Bradley.

But for now, Milton Bradley and goats everywhere can rest easy, for after compiling a 1.40 ERA in his last five spring training starts, Carlos Silva is good. In fact, he tells the Chicago Tribune that he always believed he was good.

“I’m not going to say I’m surprised, because that’s what I’m working for,” Silva said. “I’ve been taking this spring very, very seriously.”

It’s nice that Silva is taking his job so seriously this spring. And I’m sure the Seattle Mariners are thrilled to hear it, because the non-serious, always-clowning-around Silva went 5-18 for them – in a pitcher’s park.

In related Chicago bizarreness, White Sox pitcher Jake Peavy continues to struggle, striking out seven but allowing three runs in four innings against a minor league team. He entered the day 2-1 with a 6.55 ERA in Cactus League play.

The reaction to Peavy’s spring results has manager Ozzie Guillen predictably testy:

“A lot of people are talking (bleep) on TV and radio (about Peavy),” Guillen said. “All of a sudden, when you have a microphone in your hands you think you know (a lot) about baseball.”

I hear you, Ozzie. And if Carlos Silva is going to be good, and Jake Peavy bad, I don’t know what to think of baseball anymore.

Are you on Twitter? You can follow Bob here, and get all your HBT updates here.

Report: Orioles close to acquiring Vidal Nuno from the Dodgers

ARLINGTON, TX - AUGUST 30:  Vidal Nuno #38 of the Seattle Mariners pitches against the Texas Rangers in the bottom of the seventh inning at Globe Life Park in Arlington on August 30, 2016 in Arlington, Texas.  (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)
Tom Pennington/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are close to acquiring pitcher Vidal Nuno from the Dodgers in exchange for pitcher Ryan Moseley.

Nuno, 29, went to the Dodgers from the Mariners in the Carlos Ruiz trade this past November. He and the Dodgers avoided arbitration last month, agreeing on a $1.125 million salary for the 2017 season. The left-hander finished the 2016 campaign with a 3.53 ERA and a 51/11 K/BB ratio in 58 2/3 innings spanning one start and 54 relief appearances.

Nuno will provide the Orioles starting pitching depth and could serve as a valuable left-handed option out of the bullpen.

Moseley, 22, played his first season of professional baseball in the New York Penn League last year. In 12 relief appearances, he put up a 3.20 ERA and an 18/9 K/BB ratio across 19 2/3 innings. The Orioles selected him in the eighth round of the 2016 draft.

Report: Mets, Neil Walker discussing a contract extension

NEW YORK, NY - JULY 31:  Neil Walker #20 of the New York Mets reacts after his first-inning RBI triple against the Colorado Rockies at Citi Field on July 31, 2016 in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City.  (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)
Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports that Mets GM Sandy Alderson and second baseman Neil Walker‘s agent have been in contact about a contract extension as recently as Saturday. The extension is reportedly three years, including the 2017 season, and “north of $40 million,” according to Ackert’s source.

Walker, 31, accepted the Mets’ $17.2 million qualifying offer back in November. He’s coming off one of the better seasons of his eight-year career, finishing with a .282/.347/.476 triple-slash line along with 23 home runs and 55 RBI in 458 plate appearances. Walker’s season ended in late August as he underwent a lumbar microdisectomy.