Hong-Chih Kuo shut down; likely headed for DL

Leave a comment

Kuo headshot.jpgThe Dodgers have shut down reliever Hong-Chih Kuo for the second time in the past week after he felt continued discomfort in his left elbow on Friday, reports Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com.

“Nothing felt really bad, but it wasn’t real good as far as how it
felt,” Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. “I don’t think he will be shut
down for an extended period of time, but we will have to see what
happens.

Kuo first complained of soreness when he was scratched from pitching in his native Taiwan two weeks ago. Though a precautionary MRI earlier this week found his elbow to structurally sound, he only has two outings under his belt this spring. Today’s setback all but guarantees that he’ll begin the season on the disabled list.

“It wouldn’t surprise me,” Torre said. “It’s just the fact that we’re
this close to the end. But I’m not sure at this point.”

The 28-year-old Kuo has a long history of elbow problems, including two Tommy John surgeries. Just last season he said that he would retire before undergoing another surgery on his elbow.
 

Jose Altuve, Teoscar Hernandez leave game after collision

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Astros second baseman Jose Altuve and outfielder Teoscar Hernandez collided attempting to catch a shallow fly ball hit by Indians catcher Yan Gomes in the bottom of the eighth inning during Tuesday night’s game.

Hernandez, who was called up earlier on Tuesday, had just come into the game as a defensive replacement for Carlos Beltran. George Springer entered the game in right field in Hernandez’s place after Hernandez was carted off the field. Altuve was replaced at second base by Marwin Gonzalez.

The Astros should have updates on the conditions of both players after the game. Losing Altuve would be a big deal for the first-place Astros, as he entered the game batting .324/.393/.459 with seven stolen bases.

Dodgers promote top prospect Cody Bellinger

Rob Tringali/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick reports that the Dodgers have promoted 1B/OF prospect Cody Bellinger.

Bellinger, 21, is considered the Dodgers’ best prospect and No. 10 overall in baseball, according to MLB Pipeline. At Triple-A Oklahoma City, Bellinger was hitting .343/.429/.627 with five home runs, 15 RBI, 15 runs scored, and seven stolen bases in 77 plate appearances.

The Dodgers are dealing with a slew of injuries to their outfielders — most recently losing Joc Pederson to a strained groin — so Bellinger is likely to get regular playing time there.