Alex Gordon broke his right thumb on March 6 and manager Trey Hillman admitted yesterday that the Royals’ third baseman will begin the season on the disabled list.
Gordon initially received a recovery timetable of 3-4 weeks, which gave him some chance to be ready for Opening Day, but Hillman explained that “it’s not going to happen” because the Royals don’t want to “force it” and risk setting him back even further:
No. 1, it’s unfair to him to rush something like this. I’m sure he’s tough enough to endure the pain of it. That’s not the issue. It’s a matter of re-injuring the thumb if we try to get in the reps that he needs to get to break with the major-league team.
Alberto Callaspo will replace Gordon at third base and may also bat third in the Royals’ lineup after hitting .300/.356/.457 with 11 homers and 60 total extra-base hits in 155 games last season.
Prior to Gordon’s injury Callaspo was battling Chris Getz for the starting job at second base and the team wasn’t exactly thrilled with his defense there, so the broken thumb keeps the Royals from potentially benching their second-best hitter from a season ago.
Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.
On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.
As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”
The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.