Randy Galloway of the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram drops a bomb in last night’s column: Ron Washington and the Rangers were being blackmailed over his positive cocaine test.
Galloway reports that numerous team sources have confirmed that the blackmailer — a team employee who was fired in the offseason — was making
“strong demands.” The obvious upshot: if the demands were not met, Washington’s cocaine story makes national news. Some
of the demands were met, Galloway reports, but the club balked at personally giving the
former employee a recommendation letter and one
other request, which Galloway either doesn’t know about or simply won’t say. Galloway says that by January “the former employee was
bad-mouthing Washington around north Arlington.”
Galloway says “[b]lackmailer was
real unhappy,” and that all was still quiet until this week when Washington received a
call “from a national baseball writer saying he had the Ron-does-dope
details.” That national baseball writer would be Jon Heyman, the man who broke the story, wouldn’t it? I trust he didn’t know that his tipster — if that is indeed where he got the story — was a blackmailer as opposed to any other team-connected source.
There’s also no word here that the police were ever involved, but if what Galloway is saying is true, the Rangers should have alerted them.
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Royals have signed free agent reliever Neftali Feliz, pending a physical. The Brewers designated Feliz for assignment last week and released him on Monday.
Feliz, 29, opened the season as the Brewers’ closer, but struggled and was eventually taken out of the role in mid-May, giving way to Corey Knebel. In 29 appearances spanning 27 innings with the Brewers, Feliz posted a 6.00 ERA with a 21/15 K/BB ratio.
The Royals have had bullpen issues of their own, so Feliz will try to provide some stability given his track record. It’s not clear yet if the Royals want to let Feliz get his feet wet at Triple-A or throw him right into the bullpen mix.
Newsday’s Marc Carig reports that the Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base when he returns from the disabled list. Cabrera has been on the disabled list since June 13 with a sprained left thumb, but he’s expected to be activated on Friday.
Cabrera, 31, last played second base in 2014 with the Nationals. He has played shortstop exclusively as a Met the last two seasons. Jose Reyes would continue to play shortstop if the Mets were to go through with the position change. Cabrera would displace T.J. Rivera, who has been playing second base in place of the injured Neil Walker.
In 196 plate appearances this season, Cabrera is hitting .244/.321/.392 with six home runs and 20 RBI. He has made 11 defensive errors, which is tied for the third-most among shortstops behind Tim Anderson (16) and Dansby Swanson (12).