They want to put a big old billboard in Wrigley Field

Leave a comment

When the Ricketeseses took over a few months ago they said that they were going to ensure that Wrigley Field maintained “it’s essential character.”  Apparently part of that character — in addition of the urinal troughs, which will not be touched — includes a big billboard above the left field bleachers:

The Cubs filed a permit application this week for a “projecting,
illuminated” billboard rising high above the left-field bleachers that
has the potential to rake in big bucks from advertisers at the expense
of offending purists.

But, there’s a problem. The 75 foot high, 360 square foot billboard
has raised the eyebrows of local Ald. Tom Tunney (44th). And it may not
pass muster with the Commission on Historical Landmarks, which must
decide whether new signage conforms with Wrigley’s landmark
designation.

Two thoughts:

  • Given that the biggest thing out towards left field for the last couple of decades has been a giant advertisement — one that the Cubs didn’t even make any money on — I’m not sure that putting up one to block it is the end of the world. Right now the ad is for a cheesy Indiana casino.  They also cut into the damn ivy in the name of spandex recently. I can’t imagine that whatever the Cubs put up on their own billboard will do any more to “offend purists” than that stuff;
  • I sure hope the dimensions of the sign listed in the ad are wrong.  If the thing is really 75 feet high and 360 square feet, it must only be 4.8 feet wide.  Unless they’re advertising pens or longneck beers or something on it, it’s gonna look funny.

Way I see it is if you want to keep Wrigley Field around you have to keep the place economically viable. The Ricketseseses are following the Fenway model in terms of renovating the ballpark. It’s a good model. It also requires squeezing as many dollars from the place as can be squeezed.  I think the de minimus aesthetic intrusion of a billboard in left is worth it if it means dragging Wrigley Field into the 21st century.

With Adam Jones ailing, Orioles add Borbon to outfield

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 13: Adam Jones #10 of the Baltimore Orioles reacts after being hit in the hand by a pitch in the sixth against the San Francisco Giants inning during an interleague game at AT&T Park on August 13, 2016 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.

Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.

“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”

Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.

“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”

Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.

The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.

No structural damage found in Andrew Benintendi’s knee

ST. PETERSBURG, FL - AUGUST 24:  Shortstop Matt Duffy #5 of the Tampa Bay Rays tags out Andrew Benintendi #40 of the Boston Red Sox after Dustin Pedroia grounded into the double play  during the seventh inning of a game on August 24, 2016 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)
Getty Images
6 Comments

Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.

Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.

Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.