Sunday injury rundown: Cabrera, Lee, Gonzalez

Leave a comment

asdrubal cabrera follow-through.JPGA few Sunday afternoon minor injury updates from the sunny ball fields of Arizona and Florida…

– Indians shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera has a strained left groin and is considered “day-to-day.”  He was unavailable Saturday and again on Sunday, but it doesn’t sound like an overly serious issue.

– Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee has a bone bruise on the top of his left foot and is expected to miss the next several spring games.  He will not be on the team bus when it heads to Tuscon, Arizona Monday for a game against the Rockies.

– Mike Gonzalez revealed to the media Sunday morning that he was pulled from Saturday’s spring game prematurely due to back soreness.  The O’s closer is fine, though, and will only be out for a couple of days.  The Baltimore Sun’s Peter Schmuck says that Gonzalez has looked sharp in bullpen sessions and is on track for the start of the regular season.

– Pirates infielder Ronny Cedeno left Sunday’s game against the Yankees after suffering a laceration on his right hand, according to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.  It was a bloody scene in south Florida, but it appears he avoided serious injury.  Cedeno is trying to fend off Bobby Crosby this spring in a battle for the Pirates’ starting shortstop gig.

– Cardinals manager Tony La Russa acknowledged Sunday afternoon that utilityman Julio Lugo is likely to miss up to a week with a groin injury.  Lugo collected three RBI on a home run and double in Saturday’s Grapefruit League victory over the Astros but was injured during his final at-bat.

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
6 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.