Derek Lowe may have a new delivery to help improve his results from 2009, but it didn’t do anything to keep him from grossing everyone out on Wednesday.
The Braves right-hander lasted just one inning against the Mets, allowing three runs after a blister popped on his right (push-off) foot. He told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he had blister problems earlier in his career because of the way he drags his foot. He has since wrapped the toe, which solved the problem. On Wednesday he decided to go sans-wrap.
“My whole career I always had to wrap it, because I’d drag my toe and it does this,” he said, pointing to the blistered area. “I’ve had no problem with it all offseason, [spring] bullpens, the last game, nothing. Then after the third pitch — we’ve got issues.”
Braves manager Bobby Cox, who has been around the game for approximately 1,000 years and has seen everything there is to see, called it “about the nastiest blister I’ve ever seen.” I like the use of “about” in this quote, as if to imply that if he searched his memory banks he might be able to remember a nastier blister, but he’ll spare us all and just sort of assume Lowe’s was the nastiest.
On a more serious note, Cox said that he hoped Lowe would not miss his next start, but that if he did, he could still be ready for the season.
Just remember to wrap it up from now on Derek. Please.
Are you on Twitter? You can follow Bob here, and get all your HBT updates here.
This is more significant for basketball fans than baseball fans, but Magic Johnson is taking over basketball operations for the Los Angeles Lakers. Dan Feldman over at PBT has the full story on that.
For our purposes, you probably know that Johnson is part of the Dodgers ownership group. Anthony McCullough of the L.A. Times got comment from the Dodgers, saying that despite his new full-time job, his status with the Dodgers will be unchanged:
Maybe I’m alone in this, but I’m not entirely certain what Magic does with the Lakers, so the first clause in Kasten’s comment may be doing most of the heavy lifting here.
Jon Heyman reports that the Nationals are closing in on a deal with catcher Matt Wieters. Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that it’s a two-year deal. UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal reports that the deal is for two years, at $21 million. There is an opt-out for him after year one. He will get $10 million in 2017 and, if he returns in 2018, he’ll get $11 million.
Wieters was not expected to go this long without signing, but his market, which many thought would be robust, never materialized. The Nats had been rumored to be interested for months, but they were apparently waiting to swoop in late and get what one presumes will be a bargain.
Wieters, 30, finished last season hitting .243/.302/.409 with 17 home runs and 66 RBI in 464 plate appearances. The Nationals currently have Derek Norris and Jose Lobaton, so who falls where in the catcher fight in Washington is unclear, but one presumes that Wieters getting a two-year deal puts him at the top of the depth chart.