UPDATE: Reyes denies diagnosis on thyroid

Leave a comment

jose reyes headshot mets.jpgUpdate: Here’s a quote from the translated version, available on ESPN.com:

“The specialists who took care of me in New York have told me that I’m
fine and that there’s nothing wrong with my thyroid. The test [taken to
follow one conducted during his physical] showed that I’m fine. We just
have to wait for the results of the additional test. The [doctors] found
inflammation in my throat and no medicine to treat the thyroid or any
other condition has been prescribed.

We await some clarification from the team on Wednesday.

10:40 pm: Interesting. According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, Jose Reyes denied reports about his thyroid, stating that he only had inflammation in his throat and did not need drugs for a thyroid condition. Reyes said that he was only told to avoid seafood because of its iodine content and be checked out every three weeks.

Of course, there is a relationship between iodine and the thyroid gland, so perhaps there’s some semantics at play here — or my Google translator is completely wrong. Reyes acknowledged that he is still awaiting results of a second test, so a full course of action hasn’t been determined yet.

7:00 pm: According to Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News, Jose Reyes has been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid. The club would reveal little else this evening, other than to say Reyes will remain in New York for additional tests to determine treatment. Results of the tests are not expected before Thursday.

A well-deserved dark cloud follows nearly every medical situation surrounding the Mets at this point, but this particular thyroid condition is not considered serious and is fully-treatable with medication. There’s no word on when Reyes will be able to resume baseball activities, but this figures to be only a minor setback.
 

Report: Mets showing interest in Bartolo Colon

Getty Images
7 Comments

Last month, free agent right-hander Bartolo Colon told reporters that he’d be open to taking a minor league deal in 2018, but only if he was guaranteed a return to the Mets’ system. The 44-year-old starter is nearing the end of a 20-year career, and it makes sense that he’d want to have one last hurrah in the city where he had some of his most productive years.

Now, Twins starter Ervin Santana tells Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press, it looks like the Mets might also be open to a reunion. It’s doubtful that Colon has all that much left in the tank, especially following a combined 7-14 record and 6.48 ERA for the Braves and Twins last year, but he’s not necessarily looking to reproduce the 15+ win, sub-4.00 ERA totals of years past.

Instead, Santana says, Colon is seeking the opportunity to win just six more games. He’ll enter the 2018 season five wins shy of the all-time record for a Latin American-born player, and is hoping to claim that title for himself before he enters retirement in 2019. Former Orioles and Expos hurler Dennis Martinez currently holds the record after clinching his 245th win back in 1998. While it took Colon a full season of starts to come up with even seven wins in 2017, he’s only one year removed from a 15-win campaign in 2016. Provided that the Mets are willing to gamble on him again, the milestone may not be that far out of reach.