UPDATE: Dodgers manager Joe Torre told Hernandez this afternoon that Martin is out four-to-six weeks. It’s highly doubtful that he will be recovered in time for Opening Day.
10:25am: Hernandez hears that Martin’s MRI showed a “little strain” in his lower abdominal area. He’s expected to sit out the next few spring games.
9:14am: Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Dodgers catcher Russell Martin felt a “twinge” in his groin area Saturday and was taken to a local hospital for an MRI.
Dodgers manager Joe Torre insisted that the test was precautionary when he spoke to reporters yesterday, but there’s no way of truly knowing the severity of the injury until the MRI results are revealed (likely sometime this afternoon).
“Hopefully, it’s nothing more than [something] that will get better with
a little rest,” Torre said Saturday. “But we’ll see.”
Martin, 27, is in desperate need of a bounce-back year. He batted a measly .250/.352/.329 last season with seven home runs and just 11 stolen bases in 588 plate appearances. In 2008 he swiped 18 bases, and in 2007 he nabbed 21. The man is a .276/.368/.407 career hitter over four major league seasons.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.
Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.
Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.
We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.
The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.
Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.
Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.