Molina: "the Mets weren't really interested in me"

Leave a comment

Bengie Molina gave the Daily News some inside dish on his offseason courtship by the Mets:

“Yesterday, I was talking to my cousin, she’s from New York, and she
said, ‘Do you think they just did it for the heck of it, just so people
don’t say they didn’t (try to make a big signing)?’ In my opinion, I think they did, because I think
if they really wanted me, they would have made a better offer so I
could be happy to go to New York . . . If they would’ve offered me two
years, I would’ve been there already.  Right from the beginning, I told them, I said, ‘Hey, listen. You’re
gonna have to give me two years at least, because that’s the only way
I’m going over there. They knew, they knew from the
beginning . . . I told them, they knew, and for three months, they
didn’t move the offer. They didn’t move to anything but one year, $5.5
(million). That told me that they weren’t really interested in me.”

Despite everything that happened this offseason, this should give Mets fans some hope regarding their front office.  Multiple years and many millions to Bengie Molina would have been a dumb play, and good for the Mets for apparently not even entertaining the notion.

Report: Padres working on trading Andrew Cashner

ST. LOUIS, MO - JULY 21: Starter Derek Norris #3 of the San Diego Padres pitches against the St. Louis Cardinals in the first inning at Busch Stadium on July 21, 2016 in St. Louis, Missouri.  (Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images)
Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
19 Comments

Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Padres are working to trade starter Andrew Cashner. He notes that a deal may be consummated before he takes the hill for Tuesday’s start in Toronto against the Blue Jays. The Marlins, Orioles, and Rangers have had reported interest in Cashner.

Cashner is 4-7 with a 4.79 ERA and a 61/27 K/BB ratio in 73 1/3 innings. He missed over three weeks between June 11 and July 2 due to a strained neck.

The right-hander is earning $9.625 million this season and will be eligible for free agency after the season.

Nationals activate Ryan Zimmerman from the disabled list

LOS ANGELES, CA - JUNE 22:  Ryan Zimmerman #11 of the Washington Nationals reacts to his run to tie the score 1-1 with the Los Angeles Dodgers during the second inning at Dodger Stadium on June 22, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Harry How/Getty Images
3 Comments

The Nationals announced on Tuesday that the club activated first baseman Ryan Zimmerman from the 15-day disabled list. Zimmerman had been out since July 7 with a strained rib cage on the left side.

Zimmerman has been inserted in the sixth spot in Tuesday’s lineup against the Indians. The veteran went on the DL with a lackluster .221/.284/.402 triple-slash line with 12 home runs and 38 RBI in 313 plate appearances.

Clint Robinson and Daniel Murphy split time at first base in Zimmerman’s absence, which allowed Trea Turner to get regular playing time at second base. Turner will play center field on Tuesday night.

The Nationals also activated pitcher Sammy Solis from the disabled list. Solis had been out since July 7 with inflammation in his right knee.