UPDATE: Tom Haudricort confirms that the Brewers met with Boras yesterday to talk about a Fielder extension. No offer was made, but the fact that they’re even talking now is unusual for a high-profile Boras client.
5:15 P.M.: Brewers’ beat writer Adam McCalvy noted some strange behavior by the Milwaukee brass (Milwaukee brass?) today:
Brewers general manager Doug Melvin and assistant GM Gord Ash
returned to camp on Thursday after an absence all day Wednesday. Asked
specifically whether it had anything to do with Fielder, Melvin said
only “we took a little trip.” Asked where that trip took him, Melvin said again: “We took a little trip.”
Ash wouldn’t dish, either, joking to a reporter that, “we don’t have to tell you guys everything.”
McCalvy speculates that they were off meeting Scott Boras at some undisclosed location to discuss Prince Fielder’s contract. I suppose that’s entirely possible. It’s also entirely possible that they all just “took a little trip” to the ladies room to powder their noses.
At least that’s the rumor I’m going to start spreading unless someone in the know gives me the dirt on what would be an unprecedentedly early contract negotiation for a Scott Boras client.
The Cubs announced on Wednesday that pitcher Brett Anderson was activated from the 60-day disabled list and subsequently designated for assignment to open up a spot on the 40-man roster.
Anderson, 29, had been out since May 7 with a lower back strain. Across six starts prior to the injury, the lefty yielded 20 earned runs on 34 hits and 12 walks with 16 strikeouts in 22 innings. He has logged just 33 1/3 innings over the last two seasons and has crossed the 50-inning threshold just since dating back to 2011.
Despite his lengthy injury history, Anderson will likely still draw some interest once he becomes a free agent as he throws with his left hand and can be had for the major league minimum salary.
Reds infielder Dilson Herrera will undergo surgery to remove bone spurs from his right shoulder. His season is over.
Herrera, you may recall, was acquired from the Mets in the Jay Bruce trade last year. He played in 49 games for the Mets, but spent all of last year and this year in the minors. In parts of seven minor league seasons he’s hit .295/.357/.461 with 67 homers and 87 stolen bases in 631 games.
Herrera, one time a top-5 prospect of the Mets, was expected to play in the bigs this year, but hasn’t. He was expected to challenge for the starting second base job for the Reds next year, but that’s obviously in doubt now. The worst part: he’ll be out of minor league options next year, so the Reds will be pressured to either put him on the big league roster fresh off an injury or else risk losing him via waivers, which I suspect he’d be unlikely to clear.