Would a Gordon Beckham-Adrian Gonzalez swap work?

Leave a comment

One idea getting tossed around in light of the news that Jake Peavy has tried to sell the White Sox on his former Padres teammate is that the Pale Hose could part with Gordon Beckham in exchange for Adrian Gonzalez.
White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, though, doesn’t see it happening:
“Right now, the expectation about this guy and that guy, I like the team we have,” he told the Chicago Sun-Times. “We have a general manager [in Ken Williams] who keeps things quiet, thank God. And when he makes deals, it’s for a reason. But we plan to have Gordon for a long time. I don’t see why people are still talking about it.”
And Guillen is right. There’s been nothing to suggest that the White Sox and Padres have even talked recently. A Gonzalez trade isn’t expected to happen until midseason at the earliest, and it’s highly unlikely that the White Sox would surrender Beckham for him in any case.
But let’s just say there is some truth to the rumor. Would it be worth it for the White Sox to surrender Beckham for Gonzalez?
As a straight-up deal, it might work well for both. The White Sox shouldn’t have to surrender any additional talent at all. Beckham, the eighth overall pick in the 2008 draft, may already be the team’s best player, and while I don’t see him developing into a true superstar, he’s going to be a well above average regular for a long time and an All-Star in his best seasons. He’s also under control for six years, and he’ll be dirt cheap for the next three.
Gonzalez, though, isn’t very expensive himself. One of the game’s biggest bargains, he’ll receive just $10.25 million over the course of an the two seasons he has left before free agency. He’d be a monster for the White Sox after going from baseball’s toughest home run parks to one of its very best. His road OPSs the last three years are 928, 946 and 1045, and he’s hit 70 homers in 961 at-bats. He’d seem to be a lock for 40 homers in U.S. Cellular, and he’d also be a nice upgrade defensively from Paul Konerko at first base.
But it’s not going to happen. Beckham won’t be on the table, and without him, it’s doubtful the White Sox will be able to put together the best offer the Padres will have to choose from should they make Gonzalez available.

Moises Alou pledges to help Cubs give “closure” to Steve Bartman

CHICAGO - OCTOBER 7:  Moises Alou #18 of the Chicago Cubs hits a two-run home run in the first inning against thye Florida Marlins during game one of the National League Championship Series October 7, 2003 at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois.  (Photo by Brian Bahr/Getty Images)
Brian Bahr/Getty Images
4 Comments

After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”

Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.

Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.

Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.

Diamondbacks sign Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million deal

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA - JUNE 14:  Jeff Mathis #6 of the Miami Marlins hits a grand slam during the first inning of a baseball game against the San Diego Padres at PETCO Park on June 14, 2016 in San Diego, California.   (Photo by Denis Poroy/Getty Images)
Denis Poroy/Getty Images
3 Comments

The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.

Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.

The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.