Luke Scott doesn't like MLB's gun ban

Leave a comment

Luke Scott tells of the Baltimore Sun that just because he abides by MLB’s policy doesn’t mean he has to like it:

“I don’t think that everyone else should be pay for the mistakes of a
few,” said Scott, one of baseball’s most vocal gun rights proponents.
“There is a good reason behind the rule, I can’t deny that. The reason
is you cannot trust 25 guys in a locker room to have the same respect
and training as I do with a weapon. That I do understand. I’ve carried
a gun for 10 years. I’ve carried them in the locker room and nobody
really knows about it. I know how to handle myself and I stow it away
where nobody really knows about it.

Ryan Franklin of the Cardinals had a similar reaction last week. The policy was actually put in place last July — after the Plaxico Burress incident — but Scott said he wasn’t aware of the rule change until very recently. In advance of the new season, major league baseball has sent out reminders to the players and the ban has been posted in clubhouses for the first time.

It sounds like the initial ban was just some P.R., and major league baseball did little or nothing to actually enforce it, but they are taking the issue very seriously after what happened between Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton of the Washington Wizards. As they should.
 

Yadier Molina will not enter contract negotiations during the 2017 season

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals’ catcher Yadier Molina is still open to extension talks during the last week of spring training. Once Opening Day rolls around, however, Molina has preemptively nixed any contract negotiations until the end of the 2017 season, when he’s scheduled to hit free agency.

Molina wants to stay with the Cardinals, or so he’s telling reporters, but he’s also “not afraid” to test the free agent market this fall should a deal fail to materialize. Via Goold:

I would love to stay, but at the same time I’m not afraid to go to free agency. I’ve still got many years in the tank. Believe me. I feel great. I feel like a 20-year-old kid. I’m not afraid to go to free agency.

The 34-year-old backstop is entering his final year under contract, though Goold points out that he has a $15 million option for 2018 that he can choose to decline in the event that it’s exercised by the team. He’s reportedly searching for a figure closer to those made by other top catchers like Buster Posey and Russell Martin.

The 2017 season will mark Molina’s 14th year in the Cardinals’ organization, building on a career that has spanned seven All-Star campaigns, nine postseason runs and two World Series championships in St. Louis. He batted .307/.360/.427 with eight home runs and a .787 OPS for the club in 2016.

Colby Rasmus could start 2017 on the disabled list

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Colby Rasmus isn’t ready to take outfield reps just yet. According to Rays’ manager Kevin Cash, that’s a red flag, one that could potentially postpone Rasmus’ debut as the club’s designated hitter and outfielder in 2017. Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Rasmus will need to prove he can play a defensive position before getting cleared for the active roster, something which the veteran outfielder has yet to do this spring.

Rasmus, 30, signed a one-year, $5 million deal with the Rays following his two-year run with the Astros. He batted a meager .206/.286/.355 with 15 home runs and a .641 OPS in 2016 and was shut down in late September with an unspecified hip/groin issue. Entering the 2017 season, he’s expected to work his way back to a full-time role after undergoing surgery to repair his core muscle and left hip labrum last October.

The Rays also finalized their one-year, $1.2 million deal with catcher Derek Norris on Saturday and will need to clear room for him on the 40-man roster. Topkin speculates that the move could send Rasmus to the 60-day disabled list, though the outfielder is not projected to miss more than a couple weeks of the regular season.