Ex-employee of Kendry Morales' agents being investigated for theft

2 Comments

Kendry Morales.jpgLast week Heyman suggested that Kendry Morales’ firing of the Hendricks Brothers was due to some financial funny business. We’re getting a clearer picture of that now:

A former employee of Hendricks Sports Management is being
investigated by both the Major League Baseball Players Association and
the Coral Springs (Fla.) Police Department about the disappearance of
more than $300,000 from the bank account of Los Angeles Angels first baseman Kendry Morales.

Rodney
Fernandez, a former employee of Hendricks Sports Management LP who
recruited Cuban defectors Morales and Aroldis Chapman to the firm,
confirmed earlier this week that he was questioned by the MLBPA in the
past week regarding Morales, but denied having taken any money from the
player.

Fernandez isn’t having it, and he’s throwing the Hendricks Brothers under the bus:

“If I’m supposedly the person who took all that money, then how come
now I don’t have anything?” he said. “I don’t deserve what is
happening.”

Fernandez said he was told by members of the Hendricks agency to keep
quiet about rumors of financial indiscretions in December and January
so it would not adversely affect Chapman’s free-agent contract
negotiations with the Reds.

He said that he didn’t have access to Morales’ bank account and that the Hendricks firm should “pay Kendry back his money.”

I have no idea what really happened here, but between this business and the lawsuit filed by Aroldis Chapman’s original agent, if I were a player I wouldn’t touch the Hendricks Brothers with a ten foot pole.

Nationals will add Mat Latos to the roster on Thursday

ARLINGTON, TX - MAY 11:  Mat Latos #38 of the Chicago White Sox pitches against the Texas Rangers in the bottom of the first inning at Globe Life Park in Arlington on May 11, 2016 in Arlington, Texas.  (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)
Tom Pennington/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thursday is September 1, which means rosters expand. As a result, the Nationals plan to promote pitcher Mat Latos to the major league roster, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. Latos had an opt-out clause for Monday, but after discussing the matter with the team, he agreed to stay at Triple-A Syracuse until Thursday.

Latos, 28, put up a 4.62 ERA over 11 starts with the White Sox before being released in mid-June. Nearly two weeks later, he signed a minor league contract with the Nationals.

In the Nationals’ minor league system, Latos has made three starts for the club’s Gulf Coast League team as well as three for Syracuse. In aggregate, the right-hander has yielded six runs (four earned) on 20 hits and 10 walks with 28 strikeouts in 28 innings.

Latos will likely pitch out of a long relief role for the Nationals and can be used as starting rotation insurance as well.

John Gibbons texts Mark Buehrle, “You know, rosters expand in September.”

ST. PETERSBURG, FL - OCTOBER 2:  Mark Buehrle #56 of the Toronto Blue Jays pitches during the second inning of a game against the Tampa Bay Rays on October 2, 2015 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida.  (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)
Brian Blanco/Getty Images
6 Comments

Mark Buehrle hasn’t officially retired, but he hasn’t thrown a pitch in professional baseball since last October. Still, the Blue Jays wouldn’t mind having some insurance, so manager John Gibbons recently texted Buehrle, “You know, rosters expand in September,” Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith reports.

Buehrle’s response? He texted back a picture of a lake. Sounds like he’s not interested in making a return, at least this year.

Last year, at the age of 36, Buehrle went 15-8 with a 3.81 ERA with a 91/33 K/BB ratio in 198 2/3 innings while leading the league with four complete games. He fell 1 1/3 innings shy of a 15th consecutive 200-inning season. There are many worse ways to end a career.