D'Backs hoping to lock up Miguel Montero

Leave a comment

montero catching.JPGAccording to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, the Diamondbacks have real interest in signing catcher Miguel Montero to a multi-year contract extension and may try to get something done sooner than later.

“He’s certainly a guy that we have a lot of faith in for the future,”
managing partner Ken Kendrick said Wednesday. “So, yeah, I think there’s potential opportunity to sign
him for more than just a single year.”

Montero, 26, made a major splash in 2009 with a .294/.355/.478 batting line, 16 homers and 59 RBI in just 425 at-bats.  He snatched Arizona’s starting catching gig from Chris Snyder and heads into the 2010 season squarely atop the depth chart.  Montero avoided arbitration this winter by agreeing to a one-year, $2 million contract and that number will only go up if he matches or improves upon his ’09 numbers this season.  It makes sense, then, to lock him into a contract that covers his remaining years of arbitration eligibility and perhaps a season or two of free agency.

As Craig pointed out last week, the Diamondbacks have also begun long-term discussions with third baseman Mark Reynolds and
outfielder Justin Upton.

Shelby Miller has a tear in his UCL, considering Tommy John surgery

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
2 Comments

Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Diamondbacks pitcher Shelby Miller has a tear in his ulnar collateral ligament and is considering undergoing Tommy John surgery. Surgery would end Miller’s 2017 season and would cut into a significant portion — if not all — of his 2018 season as well.

Miller sent his MRI results to Dr. Neal ElAttrache and Dr. James Andrews for second and third opinions, respectively. He could choose to rehab his elbow rather than undergo surgery, but that comes with its own set of positives and negatives.

Miller lasted only four-plus innings in his most recent start on Sunday and carries a 4.09 ERA on the season, his second with the Diamondbacks. His time in Arizona has not gone well.

The Mets are a mess

Al Bello/Getty Images
7 Comments

The Mets lost again on Thursday afternoon, suffering a 7-5 defeat at the hands of the Braves. It’s their sixth consecutive loss and the club is now in last place in the NL East. Not exactly the start the Mets envisioned.

Matt Harvey got the start, but lasted only 4 1/3 innings. He gave up six runs on five hits and five walks with only one strikeout. After the game, Harvey said he was tight and that he threw yesterday expecting to start on Friday instead, per Matt Ehalt of The Record. Sounds like no one communicated to Harvey that he’d be starting this afternoon until it was too late for him to properly prepare.

Harvey started because Noah Syndergaard was scratched due to a “tired arm.” Syndergaard blew reporters off after the game, according to Mike Puma of the New York Post. Puma then added that Syndergaard ripped Mets P.R. guy Jay Horwitz for letting reporters approach him.

By the way, the Mets also lost outfielder Yoenis Cespedes to a hamstring injury. Not much else can go wrong in Queens.