Fred Wilpon calls offseason "torture"

Leave a comment

Mets owner Fred Wilpon spoke with the media during the first day of workouts for pitchers and catchers, calling the recent offseason “torture.” I’m sure a lot of this emotion had to do with the strife surrounding the dispute with Carlos Beltran, but he also sympathizes with fans who are understandably frustrated that the team failed to land a single starting pitcher:

“I understand from the fan’s point of view because I am one myself and
I’m very, very sensitive to what their feelings are and I understand
some of it,” Wilpon said. “I think that we have to be guided by our
baseball people and our baseball people evaluated for example some of
our pitchers as good or better than what was on the market, our
baseball (people) evaluated other positions and we went by what they did. Jeff
followed them. Jeff and I don’t pick the baseball players. So that’s
what they wanted to do. They think that the guys we have will prove to
be better guys than some of the guys we would have gotten.”

Of course, a recent piece by Ken Rosenthal begs to differ. Wilpon also insisted that Bernie Madoff did not have any impact on the team’s operations (never mind that the team’s payroll actually went down this winter) and that he intends to keep the franchise under family control “for generations.” Does that kill anyone else’s buzz?
 

Scott Feldman underwent season-ending knee surgery

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.

Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.

MLB to implement code of conduct for fans next year

Rob Carr/Getty Images
5 Comments

Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.

MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”

As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.

Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”