UPDATE: The White Sox pull their offer to Damon; Boras pleads with the Tigers

Leave a comment

Update: Wait! Maybe the White Sox aren’t out of it, at least according to what Kenny Williams told Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times:

“If circumstances change in the next 24 hours I certainly will be
willing to revisit it,” Williams said. “Jermaine Dye cashed in big
time for something like this, taking less money to win a championship,
and maybe Johnny wants to do the same.”


“It’s the nature of the beast, but this has gone on long enough. We
have a have a pretty good club as is. Would Johnny Damon add to it?
He’s proven that. He was icing on the cake as far as we’re concerned.”

We’ve waited this long, why not another 24 hours?

4:51 PM: ESPN Chicago’s Bruce Levine reports that the White Sox have pulled their offer to Johnny Damon:

“It became clear to us in our recent negotiations that the money
that we were offering was not going to be good enough for Johnny at
this time,” White Sox general manager Kenny Williams told
ESPNChicago.com. “At this particular point, we feel it’s necessary to
withdraw our offer.”

The White Sox made a $6 million offer for Damon, according to major league sources.

Meanwhile, Buster Olney tweets the following:


Heard this: Scott
Boras is now working a two-pronged approach on the Tigers. No. 1 —
he’d like to get Detroit to remove all deferred money out of
their one-year, $7 million offer. Or No. 2, he’d wants Ilitch to
actually give Damon legitimate second year in their offer.

I call it “pleading” in the headline because it cannot properly be called a negotiation when one person wants concessions but has utterly no leverage and nothing to give up in return. The White Sox are out of the picture. The Tigers have made a one-year deferred-money offer. Take it or leave it, Boras.

Earlier today Tigers’ GM Dave Dombrowski, while confirming that the team has made an offer to Damon, said that there is an end in sight to the Damon drama. He didn’t explain what that means exactly, but I hope that end is a phone call to Boras this evening in which Dombrowski says “you have until noon tomorrow to either accept or reject the offer we have on the table. After that, we delete you from the speed dial.”

The Rockies are promoting outfield prospect David Dahl

SAN DIEGO, CA - JULY 10:  David Dahl of the U.S. Team looks on prior to the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game at PETCO Park on July 10, 2016 in San Diego, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Harry How/Getty Images
Leave a comment

In a wave of prospect advancement news on Sunday, the Rockies have joined the fray. The Astros are calling up Alex Bregman. The Diamondbacks are calling up Braden Shipley. And the Rockies will call up outfield prospect David Dahl on Monday, Nick Groke of The Denver Post reports. The Rockies are expected to designate outfielder Brandon Barnes for assignment to create roster space.

Dahl, 22, was selected by the Rockies in the first round — 10th overall — in the 2012 draft. He started the season at Double-A, batting .278/.367/.500 with 13 home runs, 45 RBI, 53 runs scored, and 16 stolen bases in 322 plate appearances. He earned a promotion to Triple-A Albuquerque earlier this month. In 16 games there, Dahl has hit an outstanding .484/.529/.887 with five homers, 16 RBI, and 17 runs scored in 68 plate appearances.

Dahl is considered the Rockies’ second-best prospect and #40 overall in baseball according to MLB Pipeline. He got some camera time during the 2016 Futures Game two weeks ago, going 0-for-2.

David Robertson and adventures with the win statistic

CHICAGO, IL - JUNE 26:  David Robertson #30 of the Chicago White Sox pitches in the 9th inning for a save against the Toronto Blue Jays at U.S. Cellular Field on June 26, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois. The White Sox defeated the Blue Jays 5-2.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
2 Comments

David Robertson got the win in both White Sox victories today, a double-header versus the Tigers. In the first game, he got the final out of the eighth inning and pitched a scoreless ninth before the White Sox walked off on an Adam Eaton RBI single.

It was the second game that made things interesting. Robertson took the mound at the start of the ninth inning staked to a 4-1 lead. He’d fork up a leadoff home run to Nick Castellanos. Then, after getting two outs, served up another solo shot to Tyler Collins followed by a game-tying Jarrod Saltalamacchia dinger. Robertson would get out of the inning without any further damage.

In the bottom of the ninth, Melky Cabrera sent the White Sox home winners again, drilling a walk-off RBI single. That gave Robertson the win, his second of the afternoon. As Baseball Tonight notes on Twitter, Robertson is the first player in the last 100 years to give up three home runs in an inning or fewer and still wind up with the victory.

Robertson has had a rough go of it since the All-Star break. He yielded four runs in his first appearance back on July 18. On the season, he’s saved 23 games in 27 appearances with a 4.46 ERA and a 50/21 K/BB ratio in 40 2/3 innings.