Heyman tweets that Rod Barajas is likely to accept a minor league offer from the Mets worth $1 million if he makes the team. Heyman also says that he’s likely to be the Mets starting catcher. If the Mets are so sure about him starting I’m not sure why it’s a minor league offer, but I guess there are some relatively Byzantine roster reasons for such a thing.
The Mets took a rather roundabout way of getting their catcher, but at the end of the day they and their fans should be a lot happier about paying Rod Barajas $1 million than paying Bengie Molina three times that for two years or whatever it was he was demanding. Because really, there isn’t a night-and-day difference between Rod Barajas and Bengie Molina.
Bill Whitehead of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves have signed reliever David Hernandez to a minor league contract on Sunday. He’ll report to spring training as a non-roster invitee.
Hernandez, who turns 32 years old in May, signed a minor league contract with the Giants in February. He requested and was granted his release on Friday when he learned he wasn’t making the team’s 25-man roster to open the season.
Hernandez pitched for the Phillies last year. He compiled a 3.84 ERA with an 80/32 K/BB ratio in 72 2/3 innings.
Scott Kazmir won’t begin the regular season in the Dodgers’ starting rotation. Manager Dave Roberts said after Kazmir’s Cactus League outing on Sunday that it “doesn’t make sense” for the ailing Kazmir to break camp in the rotation, Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times reports. The lefty will instead rehab some more and join the rotation at a later time.
Kazmir has been battling a hip issue which has caused his mechanics to suffer. He was clocked in the low 80’s 10 days ago and wasn’t much better on Sunday afternoon.
Last season with the Dodgers, Kazmir posted a 4.56 ERA with a 134/52 K/BB ratio in 136 1/3 innings, his worst numbers since returning to the majors in 2013.