Mark McGwire speaks

Leave a comment

Earlier today he showed up. A few minutes ago he spoke:

He spoke about the “learning curve” he’ll have with the hitters,
specifically expanding his pool of pupils from two or three hitters to
the 13 or more that he’ll have to work with here in spring. He spoke
about the “regrets” he has from his playing career and steroid-use. And
he stressed that he is ready to “move on” from his admission, even as
he understands the questions will linger.

Asked how long he will be asked these questions, he responded:
“That’s up to you guys. I’ve accepted responsibility. I can’t tell you
how many times that I’m truly sorry. It’s a very, very regrettable
situation that I put myself in. I’m just ready to move on, and I hope
everybody else can. It would be a better place if we move on and make
this a positive thing.”

McGwire also said — again — that insofar as they allowed him to play more often, yes, steroids helped him hit home runs. He stuck to his guns, however, and said that the ability to hit home runs was his own. Which is a perfectly legitimate and understandable opinion for McGwire to have of the matter. If anyone wants to continue to take issue with that it strikes me that they need to bring some actual scientific evidence regarding the effects of steroids on hitting. If they don’t, they’re complaining about McGwire’s opinions of himself, not his candor.

At any rate, it seems that at this point there is nothing more we can expect the man to say on the matter of his own personal steroid history. He has a job in baseball, and he’s trying to do it.  If “questions linger” it’s only because the writers wish only to talk about the past.

Report: Padres working on trading Andrew Cashner

ST. LOUIS, MO - JULY 21: Starter Derek Norris #3 of the San Diego Padres pitches against the St. Louis Cardinals in the first inning at Busch Stadium on July 21, 2016 in St. Louis, Missouri.  (Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images)
Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
17 Comments

Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Padres are working to trade starter Andrew Cashner. He notes that a deal may be consummated before he takes the hill for Tuesday’s start in Toronto against the Blue Jays. The Marlins, Orioles, and Rangers have had reported interest in Cashner.

Cashner is 4-7 with a 4.79 ERA and a 61/27 K/BB ratio in 73 1/3 innings. He missed over three weeks between June 11 and July 2 due to a strained neck.

The right-hander is earning $9.625 million this season and will be eligible for free agency after the season.

Nationals activate Ryan Zimmerman from the disabled list

LOS ANGELES, CA - JUNE 22:  Ryan Zimmerman #11 of the Washington Nationals reacts to his run to tie the score 1-1 with the Los Angeles Dodgers during the second inning at Dodger Stadium on June 22, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Harry How/Getty Images
3 Comments

The Nationals announced on Tuesday that the club activated first baseman Ryan Zimmerman from the 15-day disabled list. Zimmerman had been out since July 7 with a strained rib cage on the left side.

Zimmerman has been inserted in the sixth spot in Tuesday’s lineup against the Indians. The veteran went on the DL with a lackluster .221/.284/.402 triple-slash line with 12 home runs and 38 RBI in 313 plate appearances.

Clint Robinson and Daniel Murphy split time at first base in Zimmerman’s absence, which allowed Trea Turner to get regular playing time at second base. Turner will play center field on Tuesday night.

The Nationals also activated pitcher Sammy Solis from the disabled list. Solis had been out since July 7 with inflammation in his right knee.