Agent says Carlos Delgado has no plans to retire

Leave a comment

Earlier this week Carlos Delgado hinted that he might simply retire rather than “sign a contract just to say I signed.” Not surprisingly once agent David Sloane heard that he made sure to clarify that the 37-year-old has no plans to call it quits:

He’s going to continue his strengthening program, continue working out. Every year, teams have issues–somebody gets hurt, somebody doesn’t perform. And then they need a bat. When that happens, Carlos will be available. We’re confident someone will sign him. It’s just a matter of who and when.

Sloane added that Delgado has no plans to accept any of his current offers despite supposedly having major-league deals on the table, which seems far-fetched. Either way, barring a last-minute change of heart for Delgado or one of the few teams still in need of a first baseman/designated hitter he’ll be hoping for a midseason opportunity.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal compares Delgado’s situation to Pedro Martinez signing with the Phillies in mid-July last year, but the big difference is that rotation help will always be in much higher midseason demand than a 1B/DH who will have been on the sidelines for nearly 15 months come the All-Star break.

Giancarlo Stanton will defend his Home Run Derby title

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
3 Comments

The Marlins announced on Sunday that outfielder Giancarlo Stanton will defend his Home Run Derby title when the city of Miami host’s the All-Star Game festivities next month.

Stanton, 27, defeated Todd Frazier in the finals of last year’s Home Run Derby at Petco Park, hitting 20 home runs to Frazier’s 13. Stanton hit a total of 61 home runs in the Derby. This will be the third Home Run Derby in which Stanton has participated.

Stanton also went 1-for-3 with a solo home run to help the Marlins defeat the Cubs 4-2 on Sunday. He’s now batting .274/.357/.551 with 20 home runs and 49 RBI in 311 plate appearances.

Aaron Hicks to go on the disabled list with an oblique injury

Mike Stobe/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Yankees outfielder Aaron Hicks left Sunday’s game against the Rangers after four innings due to soreness in his right oblique. After the game, Hicks said he expects to go on the 10-day disabled list and miss the next three to four weeks, MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch reports.

Hicks was 1-for-2 with a single before departing on Sunday. He entered the game batting .288/.397/.515 with 10 home runs and 37 RBI in 198 plate appearances. It is by far the best season of his career.

Jacoby Ellsbury is on his way back from a concussion, so the Yankees will only have to bridge the gap in center field for a week or two. Mason Williams could draw some starts in center field in the meantime.