UPDATE: Maybe the debunking needs debunking. The NYT’s Tyler Kepner notes
that no reporter is closer to Chien-Ming Wang than Pete Abraham is, and
he backs Abe’s report that the Nats and Wang are going to get
together. Perhaps all that happened after Abe’s report was that a
nervous agent merely told some people that nothing formal can be
And it does seem that other suitors are out of the picture. Two hours ago Heyman reported that the Dodgers were interested in Wang. Then, an hour ago he reported
that L.A. “pulled out of the Wang debry.” Of course, given that there
may be a deal with Washington already there, it’s possible that Wang
10:13 A.M.: Buster Olney and others are now debunking Abraham’s report. The story remains: the Nats are a “finalist” but Wang hasn’t made up his mind and probably won’t for 7-10 days.
As you were.
8:55 A.M.: Pete Abraham tweets that Chien-Ming Wang has decided to accept an offer from the Nationals.
Good move for the Nats. He’s probably not going to cost a ton, and he’ll be around later in the season when their young guys could use some innings relief. Still don’t know why the Dodgers or Mets didn’t take a flyer on him.
Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.
On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.
As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”
The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.