Jarrod Washburn could retire

Leave a comment

MLB_washburn.jpgIt’s not been a great offseason for Jarrod Washburn.  Rumored at various times to be going various places, Washburn still doesn’t have a job.  The two teams most prominently mentioned in Washburn rumors — the Twins and Mariners — don’t seem particularly interested in him.  In light of that, Jon Paul Morosi reports that Washburn may just hang it up:

So now what for Washburn?

It remains possible that Seattle or
Minnesota could boost its payroll by enough money to give Washburn an
enticing one-year offer. If that doesn’t happen, and if Washburn doesn’t want to play elsewhere, he has a third option.

Retirement.  It
sounds extreme, yes. But one major league source said Thursday that the
left-hander might decide to stay home in Wisconsin if he doesn’t get
the right offer from the right team.

I don’t know if Jarrod Washburn deserves a Major League job. He’s not as good as he looked in the first half of last year and he was pretty terrible for Detroit after the trade. He’s also reported to not be particularly motivated to play for anyone but Minnesota — where he lives — or Seattle, where he prospered.  It may just be the end of the line for him.

But I can’t help but wonder if one more factor is at play here, and that’s his agent. Fella by the name of Scott Boras, who doesn’t seem like he would be the best representation if you, like Washburn, were in a position where the difference between getting a job and not getting a job is your willingness to go to a team with hat in hands.

Marco Estrada signs a one-year, $13 million deal for 2018

Getty Images
1 Comment

Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.

This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.

The Red Sox will air anti-racism PSA before games beginning next week

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”

This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.

Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:

“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”