Adam Jones' mother would like to set the record straight

Leave a comment

We had some fun with Adam Jones earlier today, but I just received a comment that provides much more in the way of background.  Except where the Mets are involved I’m nothing if not fair, so take it away Mrs. Bradley:

Let me clarify any misconceptions that are currently out there with
reference to my son Adam Jones being pulled over during his interview.
First of all, Jonesy was on his way to pick me up for our weekly lunch
date and was doing the interview via his cell phone with which he wears
a headset, even though the laws in our state do not require he uses
one. Second, while driving and doing the interview he was pulled over
for his windows being too dark and NOTHING ELSE!!!!! Adam is a very
conscientious young man and he knows RIGHT FROM WRONG! Not being
biased, I am being honest. If our state had a no cell phone or text law
he would abide by it, but we don’t. This was not the problem!!!! The
problem was his tint on his windows and if any of you have ever been to
Arizona when it is 117 degrees or higher here, you would understand the
circumstances!!!!

Adam happened to come directly to me after the stop and the interview
and explained the ENTIRE SCENARIO and I can the entire situation
because I also live in AZ and have been told that MY WINDOWS ARE TOO
DARK, so what would that make me? 6 out of every 10 cars in certain
parts of Arizona a tinted due to the extreme heat factor, so before you
start paasing judgement, come on out to AZ and get heated in the 117
DEGREE SWELTERING HEAT AND THEN WE CAN TALK! Until then, STEP!!!!

Respectfully,

Andrea Bradley, mother of Adam LaMarque Jones, Centerfielder for the
Baltimore Orioles

And yes, she’s legit. She’s been mentioned in Peter Schmuck’s column before, and the IP address checks out.

So here’s the deal, guys: ballplayers’ moms are hanging around here, so let’s clean up our act, OK?  Watch that language and for God’s sake, Gator, put some pants on.

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
4 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.