Giants likely headed to hearing with Lincecum

Leave a comment

lincecum
wave.JPGTim Lincecum’s agent, Rick Thurman, told Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News Tuesday that the Giants have not engaged him in significant contract negotiations and an arbitration hearing will almost certainly be necessary to decide the right-hander’s 2010 salary.

“I think that’s the direction (a hearing) they’ve wanted this go from
Day One,” said Thurman, “simply because there’s been little or no discussions with
regards to a contract. … We prepared this case from Day One to go (to a hearing), and that still
appears to be the case.”

Lincecum requested $13 million and was offered $8 million from the Giants when arbitration figures were exchanged two weeks ago.  CTB’s own Craig Calcaterra called the club’s proposal  a “lowball offer” back when the news first broke and it still seems like quite a small sum for a 25-year-old kid who is 40-17 with a 2.90 ERA and 1.15 WHIP over his first 90 major league starts.  The Giants’ bid looks especially stingy when you consider the opinion of a respected reporter like Yahoo’s Tim Brown, who suggested in late November that Lincecum might be justified in requesting a sum close to $23 million.

Teams almost always win arbitration hearings, but our bet is on the San Francisco ace this time around.

Dodgers designate Sergio Romo for assignment

Joe Scarnici/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Dodgers announced on Thursday that the club activated pitcher Grant Dayton from the 10-day disabled list and designated pitcher Sergio Romo for assignment.

Dayton, 29, went on the disabled list earlier this month with neck stiffness. He’ll resume with a 3.63 ERA and a 20/12 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings.

Romo, 34, signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Dodgers in February. It didn’t really work out, as the right-hander posted a 6.12 ERA with a 31/12 K/BB ratio in 25 innings. His peripherals are still decent, so it wouldn’t be surprising if a team in need of a bullpen arm makes a deal with the Dodgers within the week.

Nate Karns underwent season-ending surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome

Brian Blanco/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan reports that Royals pitcher Nate Karns underwent surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome on Wednesday. He’s expected to be ready for spring training next year. Karns went on the disabled list in May with an elbow injury and didn’t make much progress.

The Royals acquired Karns from the Mariners in January in exchange for outfielder Jarrod Dyson. Over eight starts and one relief appearance, the 29-year-old right-hander compiled a 4.17 ERA and a 51/13 K/BB ratio in 45 1/3 innings.

Karns will enter his first of three years of arbitration eligibility after the season, so he’ll be under the Royals’ control through 2020.