Former Washington Nationals’ pitcher Tim Redding was on the radio yesterday, accusing teammate Mike Bacsik of intentionally throwing a fat pitch to Barry Bonds, giving him the record breaking home run:
“I think he wanted to give it up. And he can say what he wants in
defense or whatnot, but doing the chart, I mean, every ball that Barry
hit, the ball was center cut, right down the middle, fastball. You
know, I think maybe inside he was thinking he was going to get a little
bit more publicity. Maybe, you know, publicity and some money out of
it, appearances, stuff like that.”
Bacsik’s response via Twitter:
“Well just got a call from Bill Ladson of washingtonnationals.com and
Tim Redding said he believes I tried to give up homer#756 Good
What he said. I mean, there was a time when a guy wouldn’t publicly accuse his teammate of taking a dive like that. He would keep the fact that his teammate took a dive like that all to himself.
OK, seriously, I have no idea if Bacsik really did groove one to Bonds. It’s not like he had masterful stuff anyway — he gave up 26 home runs in 118 innings in 2007 and had a lifetime ERA of 5.46 — so the odds favored Bonds jacking one out of the yard that night anyway.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.
Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.
Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.
We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.
The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.
Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.
Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.