Johnny Damon could land somewhere soon

Leave a comment

UPDATE: Uh oh.  Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told The Journal News moments ago that Heyman’s report of a deadline is “not true.”  Considering Heyman’s involvement, it’s probably worth noting now that Damon is a Scott Boras client.

3:51pm: It appears free agent outfielder Johnny Damon could be close to finding a home for the 2010 season.

Sports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman said this afternoon that Damon “has days” to accept a low-salary offer from the Yankees and the Newark Star-Ledger’s Marc Carig received a text from the 36-year-old outfielder stating that he “should have a
team in a week.”
  Exciting stuff.

Damon batted .282/.365/.489 with 24 home runs, 82 RBI and 107 runs scored last season for the Yankees but he’s drawn very little interest this winter for a variety of reasons.  Clubs are beginning to factor in things like defensive metrics and the outfielder ranks poorly by such measurements.  He’s looking at a large dip in pay from the whopping $13 million that George Steinbrenner and Co. paid him in 2009.

Report: Padres working on trading Andrew Cashner

ST. LOUIS, MO - JULY 21: Starter Derek Norris #3 of the San Diego Padres pitches against the St. Louis Cardinals in the first inning at Busch Stadium on July 21, 2016 in St. Louis, Missouri.  (Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images)
Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
17 Comments

Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Padres are working to trade starter Andrew Cashner. He notes that a deal may be consummated before he takes the hill for Tuesday’s start in Toronto against the Blue Jays. The Marlins, Orioles, and Rangers have had reported interest in Cashner.

Cashner is 4-7 with a 4.79 ERA and a 61/27 K/BB ratio in 73 1/3 innings. He missed over three weeks between June 11 and July 2 due to a strained neck.

The right-hander is earning $9.625 million this season and will be eligible for free agency after the season.

Nationals activate Ryan Zimmerman from the disabled list

LOS ANGELES, CA - JUNE 22:  Ryan Zimmerman #11 of the Washington Nationals reacts to his run to tie the score 1-1 with the Los Angeles Dodgers during the second inning at Dodger Stadium on June 22, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Harry How/Getty Images
3 Comments

The Nationals announced on Tuesday that the club activated first baseman Ryan Zimmerman from the 15-day disabled list. Zimmerman had been out since July 7 with a strained rib cage on the left side.

Zimmerman has been inserted in the sixth spot in Tuesday’s lineup against the Indians. The veteran went on the DL with a lackluster .221/.284/.402 triple-slash line with 12 home runs and 38 RBI in 313 plate appearances.

Clint Robinson and Daniel Murphy split time at first base in Zimmerman’s absence, which allowed Trea Turner to get regular playing time at second base. Turner will play center field on Tuesday night.

The Nationals also activated pitcher Sammy Solis from the disabled list. Solis had been out since July 7 with inflammation in his right knee.