In light of the heavy criticism the Mets medical staff received last year, it’s tempting to blame the current dustup over Carlos Beltran’s knee surgery on the team and to cast Beltran as the good guy. That’s certainly the prevailing thinking in the blogosphere this morning.
Now, we obviously don’t know everything that has happened here, but maybe, just maybe, the Mets are entitled to some benefit of the doubt. Why? Because this is not the first time Beltran has gone rogue on his team’s medical staff:
The players’ association filed a grievance Friday to block the Kansas City Royals’ suspension of AL Rookie of the Year Carlos Beltran.
Beltran was suspended without pay Thursday for refusing to report to
the team’s Florida training complex for rehabilitation. The Royals said
the suspension would last for 30 days or until he reports, whichever is
Granted, that was when Beltran was with the Royals, and the Royals’ medical staff has taken just
as much heat as the Mets, so I suppose we still can’t know for sure.
Still, I don’t know of any other player that has had two high-profile disputes with his team over medical treatment, so we can’t really eliminate the possibility that it’s Beltran, and not the Mets, that is the problem here.
Things are going great for the Dodgers lately. They’ve won seven consecutive games and 13 of their last 14. They lead the National League in wins and are in first place in, arguably, the best division in baseball.
But there are a lot of moving parts on a baseball team, and even when some things are going great, other things can go not-so-great. Like this:
Urias has been diagnosed with shoulder inflammation and shut down indefinitely. An MRI last week showed no structural damage, but his shoulder is still bothering him. He has not pitched in the bigs since late May, when he allowed seven runs in less than three innings against the Miami Marlins. He was sent down after that and went 3-0 with a 3.12 ERA, six walks and 17 strikeouts in 17.1 innings pitched in three starts with Oklahoma City before being shelved.
Derek Jeter met with Major League Baseball yesterday and told them that he does not yet have the money to purchase the Miami Marlins, reports the Associated Press.
Jeter bid $1.3 billion for the Marlins, as did the group led by Tagg Romney and Tom Glavine. Bidding is one thing, however. Cash on the barrelhead is another. Jeter has been trying to wrangle together an investment group since Jeb Bush pulled out of his bid, but still hasn’t pulled it off. There are reportedly other groups still in the hunt.
If only there was someone else with baseball and Miami ties he could call.