According to the Detroit Free Press, “reports have said” the Tigers are interested in having free agent second baseman Orlando Hudson replace Placido Polanco, who signed with Philadelphia last month.
We’ve seen Hudson linked to a number of teams this winter — Mets,
Phillies, Red Sox, Rockies, Mariners, Giants and Nationals — but the
Tigers haven’t been one of them. Of course, that doesn’t mean this
report isn’t true, but I haven’t found a single report that has linked
the Tigers to the 32-year-old.
It’s an unlikely scenario anyway, as the Tigers have top prospect Scott
Sizemore at the ready. Sizemore, who turns 24 on Monday, batted
.308/.389/.500 with 17 home runs and 66 RBI between Double-A Erie and
Triple-A Toledo last season. He underwent surgery to repair a fractured
left ankle in October, but there have been no reported setbacks in his
A few of the teams mentioned above have already settled on other
options at second base, leaving a potential landing spot for Hudson
in doubt. It’s very possible that Hudson could find himself signing
another one-year contract. If his price drops far enough, the Tigers
can’t be dismissed entirely.
Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.
On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.
As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”
The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.