Scott Boras can't be serious

Leave a comment

When Scott Boras talks, people listen. Take the winter meetings, for instance.
He’s bombastic. He’s outrageous. And sometimes he’s very close to
pushing his luck. The Yankees recently acquired the younger and
more-athletic Curtis Granderson in a blockbuster three-team trade,
providing general manager Brian Cashman with some flexibility in
negotiations for veteran free agent outfielder Johnny Damon. You
wouldn’t know it if you talked to Boras.

According to the New York Daily News, Boras told the Yankees to “not bother” tendering an offer to Damon unless it was for at least three years and no less than the $13 million salary he earned in 2009.
Obviously, the Yankees have no intention of granted the 36-year-old
Damon a three-year contract, and Boras can’t realistically expect him
to find one in free agency. It’s a rather obvious stunt.

So far, the Yankees have told Boras
they would like to bring Damon back, but they’ve drawn the line at two
years at around $8 million per season. Bobby Abreu’s recent two-year,
$19 million contract with the Angels seems like a fair compromise of
terms, but if Boras keeps pushing it, the Bombers will have no
qualms about moving forward.

Shawn Tolleson becomes a free agent

Leave a comment

The Rangers outrighted reliever Shawn Tolleson off the 40-man roster on Wednesday. Rather than accept the assignment to Triple-A Round Rock, Tolleson has opted to become a free agent, Rangers executive VP of communications John Blake reports.

Tolleson, 28, emerged as a closer for the Rangers in 2015, but his follow-up campaign this year was dreadful. He finished with a 7.68 ERA and a 29/10 K/BB ratio in 36 1/3 innings. He eventually went on the 60-day disabled list with a back injury.

Despite the nightmarish season, it’s easy to see a team deciding to take a flier on Tolleson for the 2017 season.

Indians strongly considering starting Carlos Santana in left field sans DH

TORONTO, ON - OCTOBER 19:  Carlos Santana #41 of the Cleveland Indians celebrates after hitting a solo home run in the third inning against Marco Estrada #25 of the Toronto Blue Jays during game five of the American League Championship Series at Rogers Centre on October 19, 2016 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Elsa/Getty Images
1 Comment

Indians slugger Carlos Santana hasn’t played in the outfield in a major league game since 2012, but the Indians are strongly considering starting him in left field for Game 3 of the World Series at Wrigley Field on Friday,’s Jordan Bastian reports. As the game is hosted in a National League park, there is no DH rule in effect, so the Indians might otherwise have to keep Santana on the bench.

Santana is hitless in six at-bats in the World Series thus far, but he has drawn two walks. He has overall not had a great postseason, carrying an aggregate .564 OPS in 40 plate appearances since the beginning of the playoffs. Still, during the regular season, he had an .865 OPS so he can certainly be a threat on offense at any given moment.