Padres change tune, ink Correia to one-year deal

Leave a comment

Earlier this week Kevin Correia said that he expected to be either traded or non-tendered by the Padres because they didn’t want to risk the possibility that he’d be awarded a big raise via arbitration, but the two sides have agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal just hours before the midnight deadline.
Correia earned around $1 million in 2009 while going 12-11 with a 3.91 ERA in 33 starts and previously classified the Padres’ contract offers as “obviously below the arbitration value.” If that’s the case then his agent did well in eleventh-hour negotiating, because $3.6 million is arguably more than he could have been expected to receive by going through the arbitration process.
Apparently the Padres were primarily scared of Correia being awarded a huge sum or simply changed their minds about his value for 2010. Whatever the case he’ll be eligible for free agency next offseason and continuing to call Petco Park home will help him hit the open market with his value as high as possible. Correia is little more than a fourth or fifth starter, but the majors’ most pitcher-friendly ballpark helped his raw numbers look more like they came from a No. 2 or No. 3 guy.

Scott Feldman underwent season-ending knee surgery

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.

Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.

MLB to implement code of conduct for fans next year

Rob Carr/Getty Images
5 Comments

Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.

MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”

As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.

Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”