The Yankees are going to stand pat for a while

Leave a comment

I had the pleasure of meeting the Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger during the Winter Meetings. Nice guy. Which is why I felt bad for him when I read a tweet of his yesterday in which he said his flight back home got canceled due to bad weather.

But the extra time on the ground worked out for the best, because he got to talk to Brian Cashman, who revealed that the Yankees don’t plan on signing anyone else for a while, taking a slow, wait and see approach in the wake of a busy week at the Winter Meetings.

Notably, Cashman said that “The next step isn’t ready to happen now, let’s put it that way, based on my conversations with everybody.”  I take those “conversations with everybody” to mean conversations with Johnny Damon, which were reported to be taking place yesterday morning as everyone left town.  Based on Cashman’s comments, I’m assuming they weren’t very productive conversations.

Further evidence that Damon may be off the radar for a while comes from Cashman’s statements that he “may choose to stick with internal options to fill several holes on the roster.”  He needs to fill either center or left depending on where they decide to play Granderson. He now has a new outfielder in Rule 5 selection Jamie Hoffmann, to go along with Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner.

Would the Yankees seriously go to war with an outfield of Granderson, Swisher and the three-headed-mediocrity monster that is Cabrera-Gardner-Hoffmann?

Report: Teams have inquired with the Angels about Hector Santiago

ANAHEIM, CA - JULY 20:  Hector Santiago #53 of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pitches during the first inning of a baseball game against the Texas Rangers  at Angel Stadium of Anaheim on July 20, 2016 in Anaheim, California.  (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)
Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
2 Comments

ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.

Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.

Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.

We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.

Prince Fielder will undergo season-ending neck surgery this week

SEATTLE, WA - JUNE 10: Prince Fielder #84 takes a swing during a game against the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field on June 10, 2016 in Seattle, Washington. The Mariners won the game 7-5. (Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images)
Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
7 Comments

The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.

Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.

Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.