Brewers out of money, but do they need to be?

Leave a comment

Indications are that the Brewers are just about out of cash after signing Randy Wolf and LaTroy Hawkins for their pitching staff at the meetings. They do have an offer out to Craig Counsell, but they could well be done adding significant free agents.
Except they clearly don’t need to be.
According to MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy, the Brewers are leaning towards tendering contracts to both Dave Bush and Jody Gerut before Saturday’s deadline. Bush made $4 million last season, while Gerut earned $1.775 million. Neither is due a major raise in arbitration, but the Brewers would be setting aside about $6.5 million for them if they do in fact tender them.
That’s $6.5 million they could instead use to land a second reliable starter to plug into the middle of the rotation.
Instead, they’ll apparently hope that Bush can be that pitcher, even though he went 5-9 with a 6.38 ERA in 2009 season in which he was dealing with shoulder/triceps problems. Bush is a decent enough third or fourth starter when he’s going well — he had a 4.18 ERA in 185 innings in 2008 — but it’s hard to imagine that any team would guarantee him $4 million-$4.5 million if he became a free agent. Teams in smaller parks would shy away because he’s so homer-prone, and the rest of the league would still show plenty of caution.
Gerut is a closer call. He hit a very impressive .296/.351/.494 in 328 at-bats for the Padres in 2008, but he struggled for both San Diego and Milwaukee last year, coming in at .230/.279/.376. If he’s saved, it’d be the result of his strong finish while Corey Hart was recovering from an appendectomy. However, manager Ken Macha had very little interest in using him while the rest of the team’s outfielders were healthy.
I’ve been assuming that both would be set free. Neither is worth writing off, but my guess is that wouldn’t clear $4 million between them on the open market. Unless they’re willing to take paycuts now, the Brewers should let them go and try to re-sign them later.

Billy Butler on altercation with Danny Valencia: “We had equal faults in this.”

OAKLAND, CA - JULY 24: Billy Butler #16 of the Oakland Athletics celebrates a solo homerun in the bottom of the eighth inning to regain the lead against the Tampa Bay Rays at the Oakland-Alameda Coliseum on July 24, 2016 in Oakland, California.  (Photo by Don Feria/Getty Images)
Don Feria/Getty Images
Leave a comment

On Friday, Athletics teammates Billy Butler and Danny Valencia were involved in a clubhouse altercation that started when Butler told an equipment representative that Valencia was wearing off-brand spikes during games. Valencia didn’t like Butler’s interference, potentially costing him an endorsement deal, so he punched Butler in the temple, causing a concussion.

Neither player had said much to the media about the incident, but Butler finally addressed the issue on Wednesday. MLB.com’s Mark Chiarelli reported Butler’s comments:

“This was something that could’ve been prevented on both sides,” Butler said. “We had equal faults in this. I definitely said some things that you shouldn’t have. I definitely stepped in an area where it wasn’t my business.”

[…]

“By no means do I think his intentions were to give me a concussion,” Butler said. “This is me addressing my faults and what I took away from the team.”

[…]

“To say that we’re enemies is not right,” Butler said. “To blame this all on one side is not right either.”

Butler also apologized to his teammates. “I would like to apologize for putting [my teammates] through this because they didn’t deserve this. This was an issue between me and Danny. To be fair for them, they didn’t deserve this. The coaching staff didn’t deserve this. The organization didn’t deserve this,” he said.

Butler is making progress in his recovery from his concussion. He’ll travel with the team to St. Louis to open up a three-game series against the Cardinals starting on Friday. If he passes his concussion protocol test, the Athletics will put him back on the active roster from the seven-day concussion disabled list.

Report: Pablo Sandoval has lost 22 pounds during his rehab

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS - APRIL 11:  Pablo Sandoval #48 of the Boston Red Sox looks on from the dugout before the Red Sox home opener against the Baltimore Orioles at Fenway Park on April 11, 2016 in Boston, Massachusetts. The Orioles defeat the Red Sox 9-7.  (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)
Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
4 Comments

WEEI’s Rob Bradford reports that Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval has lost 22 pounds during his rehabilitation after undergoing shoulder surgery in early May. Weight has been the top subject of conversation regarding Sandoval ever since he showed up to spring training and an unflattering photograph was published by the Boston Globe.

Sandoval had a miserable spring training, batting .204 in 49 at-bats and lost out on the starting third base job to Travis Shaw. He went hitless in seven regular season plate appearances before landing on the disabled list with a sprained left shoulder, which ultimately required reconstructive surgery.

Sandoval is still under contract through at least 2019, earning $17 million next season, and $18 million in ’18 and ’19. His controlling club has a $17 million option with a $5 million buyout for 2020 as well. It’s hard to see Sandoval fitting into his current club’s future plans, but it will be tough for the Red Sox to get rid of him without eating a significant portion of his remaining contract.