Continuing where we left off earlier . . .
- The Jays pick Zech Zinicola from the Nationals;
- The Brewers pick Chuck Lofgren from the Indians;
- The Cubs take Mike Parisi from the Cardinals;
- The Rays take Armando Zerpa from the Red Sox;
- The Mariners take pitcher Kanekoa Texeira from the Yankees. How many dim Yankees fans thought it was Mark?
- The Giants take Steve Johnson from the Orioles;
- The Cardinals pick Ben Jukich from the Reds; and
- The Phillies take Kenneth Herndon from the Angels.
I take it back: if you know these people you didn’t draft them and you’re not their momma. They’re so anonymous that to know them you have be one of these people.
The Orioles announced, prior to Sunday’s game against the Yankees, that the club signed pitcher Tommy Hunter to a major league contract. In related roster moves, the club recalled pitcher Oliver Drake from Triple-A Norfolk and designated pitcher T.J. McFarland and outfielder Julio Borbon for assignment.
The Indians released Hunter on Thursday after he struggled in a rehab assignment with Triple-A Columbus. Hunter was recovering from a non-displaced fracture in his lower back. The right-hander put up a respectable 3.74 ERA with a 17/5 K/BB ratio in 21 2/3 innings for the Indians.
This will be Hunter’s second stint with the Orioles. The O’s had acquired him along with first baseman Chris Davis at the trade deadline from the Rangers in 2011 in the Koji Uehara trade.
The Orioles are only responsible for paying Hunter the prorated major league minimum.
Orioles DH Mark Trumbo drilled a two-run home run to left-center field off of reliever Ben Heller in the eighth inning of Sunday afternoon’s game against the Yankees. In doing so, he became the first player to reach the 40-homer plateau this season.
Trumbo finished 1-for-4 on the afternoon. Along with the 40 dingers, he’s hitting .257/.317/.541 with 96 RBI. He has already set a career-high in homers and is four RBI away from tying his career high in that regard.
Trumbo is eligible for free agency after the season. Needless to say, his performance in 2016 bodes well for his ability to secure a hefty contract.