Proposed Crawford-Quentin deal all but dead

Leave a comment

Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that the White Sox and Rays have discussed a deal that would have sent Carlos Quentin to Tampa Bay for Carl Crawford, but that those talks have “flat-lined.”
Says White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen on the possibility:

”To make that trade there is a lot of money involved. [Crawford] is making a lot of money. Personally, I don’t think we have enough money to cover that. Second of all, Carlos is younger and I think we can get Carlos to have more production than what he had this past year. Kenny hasn’t said anything to me, but … rumors are rumors, and that’s what the winter meetings are all about.”

Quentin is under control for four more years, while Crawford is a free agent after next season, so the deal wouldn’t have made a lot of sense for the White Sox, even though it’s obvious the team craves his speed and leadoff ability.
The two sides had also discussed Bobby Jenks in various proposals, according to Cowley’s report, but it doesn’t look like there’s a deal to be found.

Report: Yankees to promote Gleyber Torres

Yankees Torres Baseball
AP Images
1 Comment

Yankees top prospect Gleyber Torres will be promoted to the majors this weekend, per a report from Jack Curry of the YES Network. Torres was expected to make his debut earlier in the season, but his starting date was pushed back after he suffered a bout of back tightness last Monday. Now, however, it looks like he’s finally healthy enough to make an impact on a team that’s in sore need of an offensive boost. As of Saturday evening, the team has yet to officially confirm the move.

The 21-year-old infielder has made quite the impression in Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre this spring, slashing .370/.415/.543 with five extra-base hits and 11 RBI in his first 53 plate appearances. Prior to the start of the 2018 season, he was ranked first overall in the Yankees’ system and fifth among the league’s best prospects (via MLB Pipeline). His numbers at the plate have been made all the more impressive by the fact that he’s only 10 months removed from Tommy John surgery on his non-throwing arm; neither the injury nor the lengthy recovery process seems to have had any detrimental effect on his game play this year.

While Torres appears most comfortable as a shortstop, he’s not expected to supplant Didi Gregorius in a starting role. Instead, it’s more likely that he’ll sub in at second and third base among the likes of Miguel Andujar, Neil Walker and Ronald Torreyes.