Rockies offer multiyear deals to Street, Barmes, Iannetta

Leave a comment

Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies are waiting to hear back after offering multiyear deals to closer Huston Street, infielder Clint Barmes and catcher Chris Iannetta.
Street, who is just one year away from free agency, received a three-year offer. He made $4.5 million last season and is likely due to a bump to $7 million-$8 million next year after performing as one of the NL’s best closers in his first full year in Colorado. The Rockies would presumably need to offer at least $24 million over three years to get a deal done.
We’ve already gone over the Barmes situation. The Rockies’ proposal to him is likely for two guaranteed years with an option for 2012, his first year of free agency.
The offer to Iannetta is something of a surprise, given that he lost his job to Yorvit Torrealba during the second half of the season. Iannetta is still three years away from free agency, and considering that he was just a part-timer last season, he’d likely be giving up considerable earnings potential in return for some security now. It’d be in his best interests to do a one-year deal with an eye towards getting something longer done next winter.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
2 Comments

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
8 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.