Bay a surprising target for Mariners

Leave a comment

Jack Zduriencik has emphasized defense time and time again since taking the helm in Seattle. He acquired Franklin Gutierrez to play center, picked up and then re-signed Jack Wilson for shortstop and he traded for Endy Chavez, Jack Hannahan and Ryan Langerhans to occupy lesser roles. All are players who have been rated very favorably by defensive statistics over the last year. He’s also exiled Yuniesky Betancourt and shopped Jose Lopez, two players not treated so kindly by the numbers.
That’s why the news that the Mariners are in hot pursuit of free agent Jason Bay came as something of a shock. Bay is one of the game’s worst defensive outfielders, according to UZR. He’s finished 10 runs below average each of the last three years, coming in at -40.8 runs in all.
Now, left field in Fenway Park is definitely a touchy area for defensive systems, given the presence of the Green Monster and the lack of ground that needs to be covered. But Bay was rated as being -25.8 runs below average during his final 1 2/3 seasons in Pittsburgh. He was average before that, but knee problems have taken a toll on his speed, and there’s considerably more ground to cover in Safeco, even accounting for the fact that Gutierrez will be of a lot of help getting to balls in left-center.
It’s not to say Bay wouldn’t be an asset. His 900 OPS has far more than made up for his defensive shortcomings these last couple of years. But he probably wouldn’t to post the same kind of line while playing half of his games in Safeco, a very difficult ballpark for right-handed power hitters, and by the time he’s in the second half of his likely four- or five-year deal, he may well be nothing more than an average regular.
In truth, he’s probably worth more to the Red Sox, given the small left field, than he would be to any other team. The Mariners could sign him with the idea of making him a first baseman or DH in a year or two. They’ll get the middle-of-the-order bat they need and become more of an immediate threat to the Angels. It’s just not worth the $70 million-$80 million it figures to cost.

Video: Hanley Ramirez’s No. 250 career home run barely left the field

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Hanley Ramirez played a pivotal role during the Red Sox’ 9-4 win over the Angels on Friday night, crushing a two-run homer off of Alex Meyer to bring the Sox up to a four-run lead in the fourth inning.

Well, crushed might be the wrong word. The ball cleared the right field fence with a mere 350 feet, landing just beyond Pesky’s Pole to bring Ramirez’s career home run total to an even 250.

According to the ESPN Home Run Tracker, Ramirez’s milestone blast wasn’t the shortest home run of the year — not by a long shot. That distinction currently belongs to Rays’ outfielder Corey Dickerson, who skimmed the left field fence at Rogers Centre with a 326-foot homer back in April.

Asdrubal Cabrera requests trade from Mets

Getty Images
5 Comments

It’s shortstop or bust for Asdrubal Cabrera, who told reporters Friday that he will request a trade from the Mets after getting bumped to second base (via Newsday’s Marc Carig). Cabrera served as the club’s starting shortstop through the first few months of the 2017 season, but lost the role to Jose Reyes while serving a stint on the 10-day disabled list with a sprained left thumb. The switch was confirmed prior to the Mets’ series opener against the Giants on Friday, prompting Cabrera to announce his trade request before taking the field.

Per MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:

Personally, I’m not really happy with that move,” Cabrera said. “If they have that plan, they should have told me before I came over here. I just told my agent about it. If they have that plan for me, I think it’s time to make a move. What I saw the last couple of weeks, I don’t think they have any plans for me. I told my agent, so we’re going to see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Mets’ GM Sandy Alderson appeared skeptical of Cabrera’s request, telling reporters that he wasn’t sure a trade was “something [Cabrera] really wishes” and saying the team would wait and see how the situation shakes out. That doesn’t mean the veteran infielder will see a return to short anytime soon, however, only that he might have a change of heart after settling into his new role.

This isn’t the first time Cabrera has balked at a position change. The Mets reportedly considered shifting him to third base earlier this season, but ultimately decided to keep him at short and denied his request to pick up his $8.5 million option for 2018, something Alderson said has little to no precedent. Further changes may be on the horizon when 21-year-old infield prospect Amed Rosario gets called up from Triple-A Las Vegas and second baseman Neil Walker returns from the disabled list, though the team has yet to address either situation.