Bobby Jenks made headlines last month for suggesting that the White Sox weren’t treating him fairly regarding his injuries and conditioning, at which point general manager Ken Williams publicly stated that Jenks should focus on losing some weight.
Despite that back and forth in the media, Williams made it clear today that he has no plans to trade the portly closer who blew four of his final 11 save attempts before finishing the season on the disabled list with a calf injury. Sort of:
He’s my closer, and I haven’t had one trade discussion about him. That’s not to say I wouldn’t entertain anything, but I’m not going out there actively having talks. He’s one of the game’s better closers and people need closers, but so do we.
Listen, we speak our minds and we don’t stop the players from speaking their minds. We are all grown men here. Nothing that has been said to [the media], whether through Ozzie or me or Bobby, nothing that has been said hasn’t already been said behind closed doors.
Setting aside any public spats and hurt feelings, Jenks is about to get very expensive via arbitration and his performance has slipped in recent years. He earned $5.6 million this season, will get a raise for 2010, and his Expected Fielding Independent Pitching (xFIP) has gone from 2.94 during his first three seasons with the White Sox to 3.84 over the past two years.
Jenks remains a good closer, but his performance has declined to the point that he’s no longer elite, he doesn’t seem like a good bet to age particularly well, he figures to earn around $18 million over the next two seasons before becoming a free agent, and the White Sox are reportedly already up against their payroll limit. Williams may not be looking to deal Jenks, but he’d be smart to listen to offers with an open mind.
In a recent interview with Jon Greenberg of The Athletic, White Sox third baseman Todd Frazier took a swipe at the Reds’ front office. The rebuilding Reds traded Frazier to the White Sox as part of a three-team deal this past December.
After the season, Frazier will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility. Frazier told Greenberg he’d like to stay with the White Sox. He praised the club’s ownership and then, unprompted, he decided to castigate the Reds’ front office.
I would love to stay here. It’s a great club, great ownership. It was very different in Cincinnati, it wasn’t good. The bottom line here is these guys know what they’re doing. I see the guys [Hahn] gets, he’s not afraid to pull the trigger. You’ve got to have a guy like that. Whether it turns out to be for the best or not, you take a chance sometimes, and I think he’s done that a lot. It’s up to Jerry [Reinsdorf, owner] and Rick [Hahn, VP/GM] and their team to figure out what they want to do and it’s up to them.
It’s not clear if there are specific incidences to which Frazier could be alluding, but it’s a very obvious piece of criticism.
Frazier, 30, has regressed a bit offensively compared to the previous two seasons, batting .213/.295/.448 with 32 home runs and 81 RBI in 532 plate appearances. The White Sox could pursue trading him during the offseason.
Update (7:20 PM EDT): John Hickey of the Bay Area News Group reports that Crisp has indeed been traded, but there won’t be an official announcement until Wednesday. Crisp has already left the Athletics’ clubhouse.
Steve Adams of MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that the Athletics and Indians are making progress on a trade that would send outfielder Coco Crisp to Cleveland. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports confirms Adams’ report. Crisp, who has 10-and-5 rights, has waived them in order to facilitate a deal.
Crisp, 36, is owed the remainder of his $11 million salary for the 2016 season and has a $13 million option for the 2017 season that vests if he reaches 550 plate appearances or plays in 130 games this season. He has already played in 102 games and logged 434 PA, batting .234/.299/.399 with 11 home runs and 47 RBI.
The Indians are still looking to bolster the outfield. Michael Brantley is expected to miss the rest of the season, Bradley Zimmer may not yet be ready for the majors, and Abraham Almonte is not eligible to play in the postseason after testing positive for boldenone in February.