Cardinals offer arbitration to Holliday, Pineiro, and DeRosa

Leave a comment

St. Louis has offered arbitration to Matt Holliday, Joel Pineiro, and Mark DeRosa while passing on Troy Glaus. Obviously the Holliday decision was a no-brainer, but there was quite a bit of speculation that the Cardinals might pass on offers to Pineiro or DeRosa.
Both players are Type B free agents and the Cardinals wanted to secure draft picks if they sign elsewhere, but the risk is that Pineiro and DeRosa may simply accept one-year deals via arbitration. Of course, that’s hardly a bad thing. And it’s not very likely, either.
Pineiro is coming off a career-year, thriving under the tutelage of pitching coach Dave Duncan while going 15-12 with a 3.49 ERA in 214 innings. His minuscule strikeout rate and spotty track record make a regression likely for 2010, but the Cardinals should be happy to welcome him back for a one-year commitment and odds are that at least a few teams will offer him multi-year deals.
DeRosa may have a harder time finding a multi-year contract because he struggled through a wrist injury while batting just .250/.319/.433 in 139 games and turns 35 years old soon. Still, he seems likely to get a two-year deal somewhere and if not retaining him for a one-year commitment would hardly be disastrous for St. Louis. In fact, generally speaking teams are far too risk-averse when it comes to offering arbitration to solid veterans.
Unless there are some significant payroll limitations in place and the player accepting arbitration would throw the entire offseason plan out of whack, the possibility that a solid veteran will accept a one-year deal is often a positive thing. When the Cardinals acquired DeRosa from the Indians at midseason they’d surely have jumped at the chance to lock him up for 2010 at a reasonable price, and that’s exactly what the “downside” to offering him arbitration entails.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
2 Comments

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
7 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.