Will the Orioles be 'buyers' this offseason?

Leave a comment

According to Jeff Zrebiec and Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles are poised to be “buyers” this offseason, as they are in a better financial position than they have been in more than a decade.
“It’s the fun part of the job. This is the time for us to go up and hit,” Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail said. “Last year, we made a couple of trades, we signed five free agents. We were pretty active. Numerically, I think we’ll be more active dollar-wise than we were last year. We’re organized, we have our targets that we’re going to go after, and we’ll see how it goes and how the market unfolds.”
The team’s most pressing needs are to find a veteran starting pitcher and a middle-of-the-order bat to play first or third base. While they would likely have to overpay to sign any marquee free agents, they have expressed interest in John Lackey and Chone Figgins.
More realistic options are corner bats like Pedro Feliz, Adrian Beltre, Nick Johnson, Carlos Delgado, Troy Glaus or Hank Blalock. Whoever they sign, they will likely be a short-term stopgap until Josh Bell and Brandon Snyder are ready for the majors. As for a starting pitcher, expect the Orioles to be in the mix for Braden Looper, Randy Wolf or Jon Garland. MacPhail also hasn’t dismissed the possibility of signing a pitcher coming off injury like former ace Erik Bedard.
Zrebiec and Connolly point out that the Orioles have just three players (Nick Markakis, Brian Roberts and Brian Matusz) under contract beyond next season, so while it would be nice to see Peter Angelos finally open his wallet, now simply isn’t the time to spend just for spending’s sake. The Orioles aren’t a few pieces away from threatening the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays. Let’s hope McPhail keeps making sound baseball decisions while the talent of Matt Wieters, Adam Jones, Nolan Reimold, Chris Tillman and Matusz incubates.

Report: Blue Jays to acquire Melvin Upton, Jr. from the Padres

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA - JULY 2:  Melvin Upton Jr. #2 of the San Diego Padres hits a walk-off solo home run during the ninth inning of a baseball game against the New York Yankees at PETCO Park on July 2, 2016 in San Diego, California. The Padres won 2-1. (Photo by Denis Poroy/Getty Images)
Denis Poroy/Getty Images
2 Comments

Update (10:12 AM EDT): Jon Heyman of Today’s Knuckleball reports the Padres will receive pitcher Hansel Rodriguez from the Blue Jays. Rodriguez is rated as the Jays’ 18th-best prospect by MLB Pipeline. The Jays signed Rodriguez out of the Dominican Republic for $330,000 in February 2014. He’s spent the 2016 season with the Bluefield Blue Jays in rookie ball, compiling a 3.06 ERA with a 26/11 K/BB ratio in 32 1/3 innings over six starts.

*

The Padres and Blue Jays have agreed on a trade involving outfielder Melvin Upton, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported on Tuesday morning. The Jays will get Upton and the Padres will receive a prospect from Single-A. The financial details are not yet known, but Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune says the Padres are expected to cover a significant portion of his remaining contract. The trade is likely to be finalized on Tuesday.

The two teams opened up a three-game series in Toronto on Monday, so Upton won’t have to go very far to join his new team. The Jays won 4-2 on Monday.

Upton, 31, has had another solid season for the Padres, batting .256/.304/.439 with 16 home runs, 45 RBI, 46 runs scored, and 20 stolen bases in 374 plate appearances. He’s owed the remainder of his $15.45 million salary for the 2016 season and $16.45 million next season, the final year of his five-year contract.

Upton will provide some outfield depth for the Jays, who currently only have Ezequiel Carrera as a full-time back-up outfielder behind Michael Saunders, Kevin Pillar, and Jose Bautista. Bautista was activated from the disabled list on Monday, so Upton could cover right field in the event that Bautista exacerbates his toe injury.

With Upton leaving San Diego, Alex Dickerson is likely to see full-time work in left field in the short term. Prospects Hunter Renfroe and Manuel Margot could be called up at some point this season as well.

Settling the Scores: Monday’s results

CHICAGO, IL - JULY 25:  Tyler Saladino #18 of the Chicago White Sox celebrates after getting the game-winning hit, a single in the 9th inning, against the Chicago Cubs at U.S. Cellular Field on July 25, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois. The White Sox defeated the Cubs 5-4.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
2 Comments

The White Sox got their third consecutive win in walk-off fashion on Monday, downing the Cubs 5-4 in the opening game of a short two-game series at U.S. Cellular Field. On Sunday, the White Sox and Tigers played two, sort of. They finished a suspended game from Saturday, which ended with an Adam Eaton walk-off RBI single in the ninth inning to give the White Sox a 4-3 victory over the Tigers. Later that day, Melky Cabrera walked the Pale Hose off on another RBI single, this time giving his team a 5-4 margin of victory.

In Monday night’s game, the White Sox took a 4-0 lead in the seventh inning with third baseman Todd Frazier providing the bulk of the offense with a three-run home run off of Jake Arrieta in the sixth inning. But starter Miguel Gonzalez tired in the seventh, forking up a two-run home run to Javier Baez. He would exit with two outs in the frame. In the ninth, Matt Albers gave up a double and two singles, leading to one run for the Cubs. Dan Jennings came in and immediately let one of his inherited runners score on an Anthony Rizzo single, tying the game at 4-4.

In the bottom of the ninth, new Cubs acquisition Mike Montgomery took the hill. J.B. Shuck led off with a line drive single to center. He advanced to second base on a Dioner Navarro sacrifice bunt, and promptly scored the winning run on a Tyler Saladino walk-off RBI single.

The White Sox had lost eight of their previous nine games prior to their recent three-game walk-off winning streak. They’re now 49-50, eight games out of first place as they approach the August 1 non-waiver trade deadline.

Box scores.

Cardinals, Mets [Postponed]
Tigers 4, Red Sox 2
Rangers 7, Athletics 6
Phillies 4, Marlins 0
Yankees 2, Astros 1
Brewers 7, Diamondbacks 2
Angles 6, Royals 2
Reds 7, Giants 5
Orioles 3, Rockies 2 (10 innings)
Blue Jays 4, Padres 2
White Sox 5, Cubs 4