New Padres GM meets with Gonzalez's agent

Leave a comment

New Padres general manager Jed Hoyer had a two-hour meet-and-greet with Adrian Gonzalez’s agent John Boggs on Friday amid speculation of a possible trade or contract extension for the 27-year-old first baseman.



“We just really got to know each other initially,” Boggs said.
“Obviously Adrian was a large part of the conversation, but there
wasn’t anything concretely decided.”




Gonzalez batted .277/.407/.551 with
a career-high 40 home runs in 2009 while leading the National League
with 119 walks. He was awarded his second straight Gold Glove last
week.




The Padres have him locked
up to a pretty reasonable contract that will pay him $4.75 million in 2010. They hold a $5.5 million option on Gonzalez for 2011, only
enhancing his potential value on the trade market.




I know Red Sox fans are licking
their chops at the prospect of adding Gonzalez, as well they should be.
He is, after all, one of the most unheralded players in the league.
Personally, I’d love to see what he could do outside of PETCO Park —
he hit .244/.413/.446 with 12 home runs and 36 RBI there in 2009 — a
true pitcher’s paradise.




This is a real tough spot for Hoyer.
On the one hand, the Padres have virtually nothing in the way of
contract commitments past 2010, with plenty of payroll flexibility for
a franchise player. On the other, Gonzalez will presumably have the
opportunity to hit the open market at 29 years old, with “Mark Teixeira
money” on the table. It looks like he’ll be too rich for San Diego.

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
6 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.