Reds re-sign Ramon Hernandez to one-year deal with 2011 option

Leave a comment

Last week the Reds declined their $8.5 million option on Ramon Hernandez for 2010, choosing to pay him a $1 million buyout instead, but today the two sides agreed to a new one-year deal.
Hernandez will reportedly earn $3 million and the contract also includes a $3.25 million option for 2011 that vests if he appears in 120 games next season. Odds are that it’ll end up simply being a one-year, $3 million deal, because he’s a 34-year-old catcher who played just 81 games this season due to injuries and has appeared in 120 games just twice in the past six seasons.
Hernandez isn’t much of a defensive catcher at this point and saw about one-third of his action at first base before knee surgery ended his season in July, but if healthy he remains productive enough offensively to be worth the modest one-year commitment. He’s hit .258/.324/.387 over the past three seasons, including .258/.336/.362 this year, which is right around the .254/.321/.396 line that MLB catchers as a whole produced in 2009.
However, the Reds could have saved $3 million and simply made Ryan Hanigan their starter behind the plate. He’s five years younger than Hernandez, significantly better defensively, started 72 games in his absence this season, and has hit .266/.363/.341 through 402 plate appearances in the majors. Hanigan doesn’t have as much power as Hernandez, but his glove and on-base skills are significantly better for one-tenth the money.
Having both Hernandez as the starter and Hanigan as the backup obviously isn’t exactly a bad thing, but for a team that’s supposedly in such a payroll crunch that they may be forced to unload high-priced veterans like Brandon Phillips, Bronson Arroyo, and Aaron Harang a few million bucks certainly could have come in handy. Of course, we already knew that planning ahead isn’t exactly the Reds’ strong suit.

Video: Statcast’s 10 longest home runs from 2015

Giancarlo Stanton
AP Photo/Joe Skipper
Leave a comment

Here’s a pretty good way to finally break out of that turkey-induced Thanksgiving tryptophan coma.

It’s a compilation of the 10 longest home runs from the 2015 season, with’s Statcast technology providing data along the path of each blast …

Tigers in discussions with Jordan Zimmermann

Jordan Zimmermann
AP Photo/Alex Brandon

Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reports that the Tigers are in discussions with free agent starter Jordan Zimmermann. His sources have told him that the talks have become “serious”.

Zimmermann, 29, has a career 3.32 ERA across parts of seven seasons in the majors. He finished fifth in National League Cy Young Award balloting in 2014, finishing with a 2.66 ERA and a 182/29 K/BB ratio over 199 2/3 innings.

Among starters who have amassed at least 1,000 innings since 2009, only Cliff Lee, Dan Haren, Madison Bumgarner, and Zack Greinke have compiled a better strikeout-to-walk ratio than Zimmermann’s 4.09. While he doesn’t have the star power of other free agents such as Greinke or David Price, the Tigers would certainly improve their rotation by bringing him on board.

Blue Jays still focused on upgrading their pitching

Marco Estrada
AP Photo/LM Otero

Having already added Jesse Chavez and J.A. Happ to the mix and re-signing Marco Estrada early in the offseason, Blue Jays interim GM Tony LaCava said the team will continue to pursue pitching upgrades, as Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith reports. Nicholson-Smith added that LaCava declined to comment on free agent ace David Price. It is believed that the Jays will not pursue Price and other big-name free agent starting pitchers given their November activity.

The Jays re-signed Estrada to a two-year, $26 million deal on November 13, acquired Chavez from the Athletics in exchange for reliever Liam Hendriks on November 20 and signed Happ to a three-year, $36 million deal on Friday.

Nicholson-Smith notes in a column on Sportsnet that the Jays need to address the bullpen in particular. That is especially true after swapping Hendriks, who had a career-best 2.92 ERA out of the Jays’ bullpen in 2015, for a back-end starting pitcher.

Report: Jonathan Papelbon is “untradeable”

Jonathan Papelbon
AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports spoke to an anonymous baseball executive, who said that Nationals closer Jonathan Papelbon is “untradeable”. The Nationals are hoping to trade both Papelbon and the man he displaced, Drew Storen.

Papelbon has a poor reputation in baseball, particularly after a dugout altercation with superstar outfielder Bryce Harper. Focusing strictly on what he does on the field, Papelbon still gets the job done. The 35-year-old finished the last season with a combined 2.13 ERA, 24 saves, and a 56/12 K/BB ratio over 63 1/3 innings between the Phillies and Nationals.

The Nationals owe Papelbon $11 million for the 2016 season.