Alfonzo wants one last shot with Mets

Leave a comment

alfonzo.jpgAccording to Kevin Kernan of the New York Post, Edgardo Alfonzo wants one more shot to end his career with the Mets.


“My dream is to retire with the Mets colors,” Alfonzo said. “That’s my
dream. That’s what I’m praying for, maybe it will happen, maybe not,
but dreams sometimes come true, you know.



Alfonzo is a beloved Met, having
spent eight seasons with the club, including their World Series run in
2000. Now 36 years old, he hasn’t played in the majors since 2006 as a
member of the Blue Jays. Since then, he’s had quite the road map, making
stops with the Long Island Ducks, the Mexican League, the Venezuelan
winter league and most recently this season, as a member of the Yomiuri
Giants in Japan. Alfonzo has a .284/.357/.425 line and 1532 career hits in the majors, but hasn’t
had more than 87 at-bats in a season since 2005.



“I’m prepared for anything,” Alfonzo said earlier this week. “Baseball
is the one thing in my life that I know how to do. I don’t expect to
play every day, but I feel I can help anytime. I can say many things
with my mouth, but I have to prove it.”



That Alfonzo wants another shot is
fine. Heck, I’ll root for the guy. Bring him to Port St. Lucie and see
what he can do. The Mets owe him that much. However, Kernan doesn’t just give credence to the idea
of a comeback, he outright endorses it, writing that Alfonzo could
“offer some guidance and wisdom to a team that lacked baseball common
sense” and that “he could toss some helpful advice David Wright’s way.”




What? That he shouldn’t sign with
the Giants? Listen, I’m often guilty of using my heart instead of my
head, that’s what fans do, but the notion that he can flip some sort of switch on this team
is patently ridiculous.

Brandon McCarthy wins final spot in Dodgers’ rotation

Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images
Leave a comment

We learned on Monday that Hyun-Jin Ryu won one of the final two spots in the Dodgers’ starting rotation. Brandon McCarthy has won the other, Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports. Alex Wood was McCarthy’s competitor for the spot.

McCarthy, 33, posted a 4.85 ERA across four appearances spanning 13 innings this spring, yielding seven earned runs on 14 hits and a walk with seven strikeouts. Wood, a southpaw, gave up five earned runs in six innings against the Reds on Tuesday, which might have factored into the decision.

Last season, McCarthy made nine starts and one relief appearance, posting a 4.95 ERA with a 44/26 K/BB ratio in 40 innings. In the event McCarthy falters, the club has Wood as well as Julio Urias and the injured Scott Kazmir as potential replacements.

Yankees re-sign Jon Niese to a minor league deal

Elsa/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Yankees have re-signed pitcher Jon Niese to a minor league contract, George A. King III of the New York Post reports. Niese was released on Sunday, but he’ll stick around and provide rotation depth for the Yankees.

Niese had knee surgery last August and got a late start to spring training as a result. In six spring appearances lasting an inning each, the lefty gave up three earned runs on five hits and a walk with five strikeouts.

Niese, a veteran of nine seasons, put up an aggregate 5.50 ERA with an 88/47 K/BB ratio in 121 innings last season between the Pirates and Mets.