Rockies shopping Brad Hawpe and Garrett Atkins

Leave a comment

Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd said yesterday that he’s not actively looking to trade Brad Hawpe, but admitted that he’s listening to offers for the 30-year-old outfielder just weeks after saying that “we have no desire to move him at all.”
Hawpe is signed for $7.5 million next season and the Rockies hold a $10 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2011, but he’s become expendable with Dexter Fowler, Carlos Gonzalez, and Seth Smith providing younger, cheaper outfield options.
His outfield defense is awful, but Hawpe could be an attractive target for contenders looking to add a big bat to the middle of the lineup. Over the past four seasons he’s hit .288/.384/.518 with an OPS above .875 every year, and while Coors Field has no doubt padded his overall numbers Hawpe has batted .280/.375/.489 on the road. He’s a lifetime .283 hitter with 25-homer power and excellent plate discipline, and is essentially signed to a two-year, $17.5 million deal.
Meanwhile, the Denver Post reports that the Rockies also “continue to explore trade prospects” for Garrett Atkins and plan to release him if they can’t find a taker by November 20. Unlike with Hawpe, the market for Atkins figures to be non-existent. Or at least it should be. Saunders lists the Phillies, Angels, Rangers, and Orioles as possibly having interest, but over the past four seasons his OPS has dropped from .965 to .853 to .780 to .650 and he’s a career .252/.324/.411 hitter away from Coors Field.
Toss in poor defense at third base and Atkins is no longer starting material, let alone worth trading for and taking to arbitration following a season in which he earned $7 million. If the Rockies are interested in dealing Hawpe they should have no problem finding a taker willing to part with a decent prospect or two, but look for Atkins to hit the open market next week after being released. He’s now just a shell of the guy who hit .329/.406/.556 with 29 homers and 120 RBIs in 2006.

Jorge Polanco suspended 80 games after testing positive for Stanozolol

Brian Blanco/Getty Images
Leave a comment’s Rhett Bollinger reports that Twins shortstop Jorge Polanco has been suspended 80 games after testing positive for the performance-enhancing drug Stanozolol.

In a statement, via Dan Hayes of The Athletic, Polanco denied knowingly using the substance. Polanco said, “To be clear, I did not intentionally consume this steroid. I now know, however, that my intention alone is not a good enough excuse and I will pay the price for my error in judgment. The substance that I requested from my athletic trainer in the Dominican Republic and consented to take was a combination of vitamin B12 and an iron supplement, something that is not unusual or illegal for professional athletes to take. Unfortunately, what I was given was not that supplement and I take full responsibility for what is in my body.”

Last year was Polanco’s first full season in the majors. He hit .256/.313/.410 with 13 home runs, 74 RBI, 60 runs scored, and 13 stolen bases in 544 plate appearances.

The Twins have Ehire Adrianza and Erick Aybar to handle shortstop while Polanco is out. The club could also give the starting job to prospect Nick Gordon, ranked No. 4 in the Twins’ system according to MLB Pipeline. Gordon had a solid 2017 campaign at Double-A Chattanooga, posting a .749 OPS with 29 doubles and 13 steals in 578 PA.