Report: Bradley talks involve Blue Jays, Mets, Rays

Leave a comment

FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal said Monday that the Cubs and Mets have discussed a deal that would send Milton Bradley to New York for Luis Castillo and then onto Toronto for Lyle Overbay.
Rosenthal believes such a deal is a long shot, since the Jays don’t appear to be interested in a one-for-one trade. Perhaps that would change if the Cubs sent enough money along with Bradley.
Rosenthal also reported that the Rays have put a Pat Burrell-for-Bradley deal on the table, though they would want the Cubs to pick up a substantial portion of the $12 million that Bradley will make in 2011. Both Burrell and Bradley are due $9 million next year, but Burrell will then become a free agent.
As for the three-team deal, it’d only seem to make sense for the Jays if the Cubs kicked in most of Bradley’s 2011 salary. Castillo, who will earn $12 million for two years, has to be viewed as a bit more valuable than Bradley at $21 million. Overbay, at $7 million for one year, has more value than either.
The Mets would see Overbay as a nice one-year option at first base while they wait on prospect Ike Davis. They should be able to find a cheaper stopgap at second than they would at first, though it’s also possible that they could make Orlando Hudson a multiyear offer to fill that spot.
The Cubs have room for Castillo at second base and at the top of their order, but there’s been some talk of moving Ryan Theriot off shortstop. He’s below average there, and a Castillo-Theriot double-play combination would be less than stellar.
Bradley would make a lot of sense for the Jays at a modest price. Toronto needs some more upside in its offense, and the DH spot would be available for him. In the unlikely event of a trade, the Jays would probably put Adam Lind at first base. Bradley could play some outfield, but the club would still need a right fielder to replace Alex Rios.

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
6 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.