I get a little annoyed when Yankees and Red Sox fans openly covet non-free agent players from other teams, acting as though it’s only a matter of time before they become the property of Boston or New York. Of course sometimes there’s good reason for such thinking. Here’s recently-fired Padres’ GM Kevin Towers on the latest object-of-desire, Adrian Gonzalez:
“They’re going to have a $40 million payroll for the foreseeable future, and there’s just no way they can devote half of that to one player.
It’s just a matter of when they decide to trade him.”
Towers, I presume, was party to enough substantive conversations before his dismissal that such comments are more than mere speculation. Adrian Gonzalez, by the way, is only making $4.75 million next year and $5.5 million in 2011. As such, he should bring the mother lode in any trade.
Given that the Padres’ new GM Jed Hoyer just left Boston, given he is intimately familiar with their system and given that the Red Sox desperately need a corner bat like Gonzalez’, one would think that the Red Sox would make the best trading partner. Only problem: The Red Sox don’t have much in the way of MLB-ready level talent to burn.
That may be fine for the Padres considering Hoyer is apparently being told to keep payroll way, way down, but trading their best player for a bunch of talent that doesn’t project until 2012 or later may cause what’s left of the team’s fan base to revolt.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.